Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Attached Storage (NAS) Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
My Dad has two computers in his office, both running on Windows 7

He needs a NAS device that will easily (and I mean very easily) make it so both computers can easily access the files on his External HDD (500GB) or on the computers itself

Sharing files through windows is very slow for him on the network so that is not a option

I am very confused about how I would go about this and if someone could give me some insight that would be great

My nearest computer hardware store is Memory Express and here is what I found

http://www.memoryexp...X26859(ME).aspx

Would this work?

IF you need anymore information please do not hesitate to ask
thanks

Advertisements

briahoe

briahoe

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Very simple solution. Purchase a device like this from Buffalo Technology. the set up is very very simple and the cd will walk you through it. Device plugs into your wireless router and all you have to do is save any documents you want to share onto the NAS device as opposed to the desktop.

http://www.cdw.com/s...asp?EDC=1986129

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

My Dad has two computers in his office, both running on Windows 7

He needs a NAS device that will easily (and I mean very easily) make it so both computers can easily access the files on his External HDD (500GB) or on the computers itself

Sharing files through windows is very slow for him on the network so that is not a option

I am very confused about how I would go about this and if someone could give me some insight that would be great

My nearest computer hardware store is Memory Express and here is what I found

http://www.memoryexp...X26859(ME).aspx

Would this work?

IF you need anymore information please do not hesitate to ask
thanks

might want to check the reviews on that product you linked to...they are not stellar

what do you mean "sharing files through windows is very slow"? that's not a windows issue (typically), that's a network speed issue, if the network isn't fast enough to handle file transfers between the two computers, adding another device isn't going to speed the transfers up.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Thanks briahoe i'll check that out

Its slow as in he has one folder with thousands of sub files and folders and the other computer sometimes loses connection with it when sharing those files