Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 hangs on logo screen

• Please log in to reply

andressa

andressa

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello and thanks for your help.
I tried turning on my computer and at windows logo, right after animation, windows 7 doesnt load, keyboard lights turns off and nothing else happens for as long as we leave it on. Must press restart button. Cannot access safe mode by pressing F8. Cant remember last actions on computer, as it's been a couple of weeks. Probably uninstalled a program. I have antivirus and anti spyware up to date and I dont think it's a virus.
Again, it's windows 7.
Any advice? Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi andressa sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Is there important data on the HDD that you wish to secure before proceeding?

Probably uninstalled a program

Can I ask what makes you suspect this as it would offer an explanation as in if a boot file had been deleted for example.
Do you have the W7 installation disk? If yes you can do a repair installation "how to" @ the attached link; http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html if a repair installation is successful then no data on the HDD will be lost there is however always a possibility that all may not go well (a power outage for example) and this is why I have asked if there is important data on the HDD that needs to be secured first.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi, thanks for your help!
Yes, I do have important stuff on my HD but I am actually doing a back up right now. Today when I was restarting the computer to try and enter safe mode I get a message saying that the hard disk might be unstable, or something like that, on a black screen after the windows logo. Then a disk check was performed and then windows loaded normally. I am saving all the latest info on my HD. Does it mean my HD is failing? Or could this be an issue that was fixed?
Again, tks for your help! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Good decision to back up your data you have saved yourself a lot of heartache so well done for that :)

Today when I was restarting the computer to try and enter safe mode I get a message saying that the hard disk might be unstable, or something like that

Most modern HDDs use SMART which gives advanced warning of potential HDD failure, an explanation @ http://www.smarthdd.com/en/
If you know the brand of your HDD (Western Digital, Seagate etc) can you download and run their diagnostic tool which is available @ http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 let us know the results please.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you very much! I will!

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello! Just updating you on the issue. So far nothing else has happened. I did download the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and both of my drivers passed the test but they do not have the SMART technology. I believe it was a isolated incident, but as a precaution I backed up all my important data.
Again, thanks for your help.

Best regards!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update I am pleased to hear that the issue has not been repeated :)