Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My notebook keeps booting. Can't use safe mode or run on CD

• Please log in to reply

GHSC

GHSC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I got an old Dell Inspiron E1505 here. I got a fake AVG popping up a trojan TR/ATRAPS.Gen5 a few days ago. I tried to remove it on safe mode but in vain. I must have deleted something accidentally while the notebook was in safe mode. Now my notebook just keeps booting repeatedly. It started with the Dell (www.dell.com and BIOS Revision A10) then the blue strip showing www.dell.com and loading pbr for descriptor 2 ... done. And it went into this vicious booting cycle.

I can't get into the safe mode or any of the options F8 can offer as whatever I choose, it goes into the booting cycle. I downloaded Recovery Console on CD (I don't have any Window XP CD or Dell Recovery CD) but the freaking computer does not want to run on DVD/CD mode (using F12).

I am at loss now as I got a few Mathematics and Chemistry programs I use it regularly for my PhD thesis.

Please help :unsure: . Please also be patient with me as my knowledge on computer is below average :) Thanks a million.

GHSC

Advertisements

GHSC

GHSC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok. I have tried a few things myself.

Downloaded recovery console onto CD. Typed chdsk /R and got this msg.
STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll/dll
I also tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR. When I exited the dos, the booting started all over again.

Could anyone please help me?