Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nv4_disp.dll BSOD, Errors in streaming video.

• Please log in to reply

slythief

slythief

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have recently started having problems occur with my system when attempting to watch online videos. This usally occurs on Youtube and Vevo, it seems to be a random occurence as some time it works and other times it won't. When the error occurs Internet Explorer locks up but the rest of the computer runs fine. After ending the process or ending the task in the task manager then does the computer freeze up. Shortly afterwards the BSOD appears. The BSOD has given me two errors that repeatdly show up which would be nv4_dsp.dll and Watchdog.sys. I've seen mulitiple issues on the subject and have tried to use the solutions to those problems but to no avail. Some of these fixes include reinstalling the video drivers and disabling hardware acceleration for the videos. The problem still occurs. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The following was taken from WhoCrashed Home edition 3.02

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 8/21/2011 4:13:34 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082011-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x242E0E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83D0925, 0xFFFFFFFFB181B6F8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 8/21/2011 1:15:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082011-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DB0EC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83A0925, 0xFFFFFFFFB09158B8, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 8/20/2011 5:46:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x284F)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF8963FDA8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A229220, 0xFFFFFFFFB850BCBC, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 8/20/2011 4:33:56 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0xD7C89)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF89889BD0, 0xFFFFFFFF8A40F248, 0xFFFFFFFF8A453C90, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Tue 8/16/2011 4:52:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DB0EC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83F0925, 0xFFFFFFFFAFC518B8, 0x0)

On Sat 8/13/2011 11:32:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x242E0E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8420925, 0xFFFFFFFF9E368400, 0x0)

On Sat 8/13/2011 11:31:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081311-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0xD7C86)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFFFFF898C7BB8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5DE5B8, 0xFFFFFFFF8A5EC258, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

On Thu 8/11/2011 10:24:14 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081111-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83C8925, 0xFFFFFFFF936EA8B8, 0x0)

On Wed 8/3/2011 10:05:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DDA7C)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8388925, 0xFFFFFFFFAD8E28B8, 0x0)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please post the make and model of the computer if branded.
The details of the graphics - Nvidia - which model please ie GeForce 8600gts etc
The release of the driver 280.26 was in August this year.
Did you follow please the installation instructions and from where did you download the driver.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Adobe Flash Player might help your problem

http://www.alaskavrt...m/flash-bug.php

Hope it will help, it solved my similar problem

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
AMD Phenom II X2 555
3.25 GB of RAM
MSI 870A-G54 Motherboard
GeForce GTS 250

I downloaded the Drivers from the Nvidia website and followed the instructions to the letter. To Alzeimer I have already disabled the hardware Accekeration but it still has not solved the issue.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciatethat you say - and followed the instructions to the letter, but could you please confirm that you followed this part of the instruction

nTune
 If NVIDIA nTune is already installed
If you have previously installed NVIDIA nTune, NVIDIA recommends that you
uninstall nTune before installing this driver. After the driver install is complete, you
can reinstall nTune.

IF you did, then please proceed as below, if you did not I suggest, you try that and a reinstall of the driver.

Either Roll back the driver from device manager -
OR if that reports not available, please download and install this.
http://www.nvidia.co...-driver-uk.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 August 2011 - 08:02 PM.

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't have ntune due to the dangers of overclocking your system improperly so I attempt to avoid any kind of overclocking. I did a roll back to the 275.33 edition. Now could the possibly problem be just a bug with the newest release of drivers from Nvidia, and im also going to continue streaming videos to see if the problem reoccurs.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I did a roll back to the 275.33 edition.

Thanks for the reply.
Does that indicate that the roll back appears to have been successful.

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The roll back was successful and I have yet to run across the problem again, So there must be something with the newest driver and the compatiability of my Card. But besides that no noticable problems with the PC so I think this is safe to say this is solved.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you, I just was not certain from the post if my advice was successful.
Pleased it worked.

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yup, I'm guessing that the newest drivers isnt as stable as Nvidia thought it was. That or my Video card just doesnt work well with the update.

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunatly I encountered the problem again with pretty much the same error. heres the newest crash file. Any suggestions?

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24432E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8398925, 0xFFFFFFFFB12C3704, 0x0)
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Unfortunatly I encountered the problem again with pretty much the same error. heres the newest crash file. Any suggestions?

This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24432E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8398925, 0xFFFFFFFFB12C3704, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).

You should try my suggestion about disabling the hardware accelerator in Flash Player, I had the almost exact problem as you and no matter what version of the drivers I tried it would always bsod when listening to videos on the net.

So if your problems happens only when watching videos on the net (broswer freezes fallowed by bsod) than try my suggestion it fixed my problem.

slythief

slythief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You should try my suggestion about disabling the hardware accelerator in Flash Player, I had the almost exact problem as you and no matter what version of the drivers I tried it would always bsod when listening to videos on the net.

So if your problems happens only when watching videos on the net (broswer freezes fallowed by bsod) than try my suggestion it fixed my problem.

I have already said this twice but I disabled it and no change has occured, the problem is still there. So there is some other underlying cause.

Edited by slythief, 24 August 2011 - 09:26 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

I have already said this twice but I disabled it and no change has occured, the problem is still there. So there is some other underlying cause.

Sorry, I had not notice you had tried it.