Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What should I invest in

• Please log in to reply

angelouis777

angelouis777

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What should I invest in these days to remove viruses. I am figuring some sort of command line scanner, also would love a tool that I can boot into a diagnostic mode so I can run a majority from outside windows.

My hopes are to actually open an office when I can raise the capital. For now will either be doing this onsite or out of my home.

One I am thinking highly of is the full Malwarbytes program.

If there is any good free tools that would be great. Hoping to put a majority on a couple flash drives or portable Drive.

Yes I feel like I am just learning since the company tools were pretty decent, they used 8 different scanners for removal.

Also a good tool for hardware diagnostics would be great.

I know some people use free software, I don't mind investing some money in good software I just want to use the best so the people I do this for will be happy.

Thanks for any help

Jonathan

Edited by angelouis777, 21 August 2011 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Hi there, angelouis777 and welcome to GeeksToGo!tm

I respect your idea of starting your own company.
I'm self employed as well, although I started for a whole different set of reasons.

Some hostility can be found in your post, I want to advice you to think things through 3x before you speak them out if you indeed were to start a company. Being self-employed means you are responsible for everything you say or do.. Any error will cost you money..
I also want to point out that the -Terms of Use- we keep up high here, does not allow us to help people that need professional advice on starting a malware-removal-business. Please read the -Terms of Use- again before you post further. Take careful notice of point 3.b
I'm sure you can understand.

There are some things I want to point out regarding your question as well.
I know of no security software that offers their active security services to businesses for free.
Besides, if you only use "as is freeware", who could you blame if actually did go wrong? Please consider a professional security pack and training, and see this as a form of insurance.

Have a nice day and good luck with your company! :)

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 23 August 2011 - 05:28 AM.

angelouis777

angelouis777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, you were completely correct I made some edits to the post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are really serious about learning how to do malware removal I suggest maybe checking out GeekU here onsite. It's not going to be instant gratification but you will learn from some of the best in the Malware Removal field.
Using tools you are not trained on can cause severe issues with any system.
My esteem colleague is right in some manner.
We do not supply assistance to people who are making money off our help but the seldom help you may need in case you run into a problem is no problem. Everyone has that system that they just can't figure out and a extra set of eyes is always helpful.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Not to be critical here, but if you're looking to start a business to do malware removal and computer support, shouldn't you already be familiar with tools and ways to remove it? I will tell you this; malware removal is a highly specialized process that requires skills and knowledge that take a lot of time to learn. As rshaffer has pointed out, we have GeekU, which is how we teach people these skills. It requires a lot of time and dedication, but it's our mission to turn out some of the finest malware removal experts out there. If you're truly interested in starting a business doing this, I strongly recommend that you enroll in a school that will teach you how to do this effectively and correctly. There's a lot of malware out there that can really cause damage if not removed correctly, and that would not make your customers happy.

Secondly, as was also pointed out, our TOU states that we are here to provide free support to individuals. You're asking us to provide you with the tools you need to start a business that will benefit you financially. If you were asking for recommendations to protect your own PC, we'd be happy to help you. We might even provide that support if you owned a small business and wanted advice on how to protect your own network. That's not the situation here, however, and under our rules, we're not going to tell you how you need to set up your own business.

angelouis777

angelouis777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow I guess I came to the right place for personal stuff, but not if I am trying to actually help myself.

I do now a bit about virus removal, but want and need to learn more. I was working for a company that had a great tool set that had most of the removals automated.

I am not just in this for the money I am in this to help people for a far cheaper amount than anyone else in my area. One of the companies wants $300 if you want your data backed up and virus removals. I am sick of people being taken advantage of by them and since there is very little competition in the area I thought it a great idea. I came here looking for advice, I am not expecting all the answers just a little help to get me started.

I know that there is a lot of damaging viruses out there, most of the time worse case is an OS reinstall and loss of data. I know that is a bad option but it happens. If I am at the wrong place for this type of help just tell me that and I will move on. I was looking for a Geek Community where people really help each other, thought an off topic forum would be a good place. Was actually directed here because of some research I did on a particular virus I was removing for my brother for free.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It's not that we don't like to help people. I think the number of members and posts we have, as well as the fact that we offer free malware removal training, proves that we do help people, and very successfully. We also don't offer malware removal advice outside of our malware forum, nor do we allow any such help by untrained people. That's something we take very seriously. While your situation is slightly different, I cannot in good conscience just give you a list of malware removal tools and say "here, just run these on infected PCs". I could point you to threads on how you could secure your customer's PCs, our favorite antivirus and antimalware programs, but I will not give you advice in this forum on what tools should be used to remove malware. First off, it's not like there's an all-in-one scanner that will automatically remove all malware/spyware/viruses; there are many specialized tools that are either developed for specific infections, or there are tools that can require more specialized scripts that are created for specific situations. Secondly, providing a list of possible scanners and removal tools goes against our policy of not offering malware removal advice outside the malware forum. Any list provided here could be used by anyone to attempt malware removal. I'm sorry you find our policies restrictive, but they're there for everyone's safety.

I'll reiterate what I said before. I strongly recommend you consider GeekU or one of the other malware removal schools. Since you already have some experience, it could really help you refine your skills, which would make your services much more valuable. Too often, the response to malware removal is to nuke and pave, which may be easier for the technician doing it, but doesn't always meet the needs of the user who needs help.