Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best card for e6600 with asus p5b

• Please log in to reply

Spawn1

Spawn1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

i would like to change my graphic card, which is a geforce 9800gt to get something better. Im' disapointed with the graphics i can get with my card and would like to upgrade to play certain games like nfs shift and bad company 2. The thing is i don't know chich card is good for my computer. The asus p5b is still with ddr2 and i don't know if i can take a card that is ddr3, ddr3 or ddr5 compatible. Could you please help me.

Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Spawn1 :)
We are happy to help you but can you give us a bit more information.
What is your maximum budget, what power supply unit do you have (brand and output) and what is the size of the PC case, micro tower, midi tower or full tower, let us know this info and we will do the rest.
The power supply information is very important as some add on video cards are power hungry and require their own supply from the PSU.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

thanks for the answer. As for my computer. It has a pretty basic antec (no model written on it) measurements are 16 inches long by 8 large by 16 1/2 high. I don't think there would be a problem putting a big card in it since i have a lot of space if i put it in the pic express bottom slot. The power supply itself is an x-supply brand model # PA-550W. Hope you can help me with this. i was thinking of getting a geforce gtx 465. I know it requires 2 pci-express 6 pins connectors but i was thinking i could buy some other power supply anyways. You could always give me the options that opens to me with my actual power supply or a new one. Just one thing. I really fancy only geforce's. It's a personnal choice.

Thanks you.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

i forgot, since i don't want to buy a new computer i would be willing to put around 130$ or less for the card. I'M now looking for the GTS 450 Superclocked. The thing is i want to know if it would be ok with my pc configuration. The other thing is, i'd like to get a card that only requires one pci-express 6 pins connector.
Do you have any recomandations or do you think that card will be ok?

Thank you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The asus p5b is still with ddr2 and i don't know if i can take a card that is ddr3, ddr3 or ddr5 compatible

The RAM type used on a graphics card has nothing to do with the RAM type used on a motherboard.

The only compatibility issues are slots and power (enough watts - or current on the 12V rail, and connections), and of course, drivers for your OS.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

yes digetary, i found the answer to that question after asking it. It's just that i didn't know at the moment how to write it down to make sense. So anyone would have suggestions on what card i could take to upgrade from a geforce 9800gt and still use the same one 6 pin connector 550w power supply? Phillpower2 i thought you had an idea.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry about the delay getting back to you (work gets in the way at times)
This card comes in at $126.97 after mail in rebate http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625 very good card I just hope you can pay the initial amount more than your max $130 budget, that said I do not recommend you purchase any card until we can establish exactly what PSU you have so that we know its capabilities, see below;

x-supply brand model # PA-550W.

More information regarding the PSU would be helpful, do you mean X-Power?
Have a look at the list @ http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php is your PSU on the list?

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

no, i meant x-supply. It's the barnd of the psu. It's 550w.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

And by the way i'm not limited to 130$. I coulp put a bit more since im not planning to buy a new pc soon.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi again,

by the way, do you know if i can have directx 11 with xp home or does it take vista or win 7 to have it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I am always concerned when I can only find very little or no information on Google and sorry to say this is the case with your PSU, it may be a potential ticking timebomb so it needs checking so can you download and run speedfan then post a screenshot of the readings (as pictured below) this will enable your present voltages to be checked at least.
Some more PSU information at the two attached links http://www.tomshardw...upply,2862.html and I will look for a PSU that is capable of powering your system with the card I suggested fitted, I will add a link by way of an edit so check back when you can as you will not receive an email notification.
XP will only conclusively recognise as far as directx9, I believe some software testing was done for DX10 but cannot say for sure.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371016

Edited by phillpower2, 23 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

from what i could read. It's a very cheap power supply. I bought it cause i wanted to replace the 350w coming with my antec case and didn,t wanted to spend much. I think i'Ll change it anyways cause i think that the psu is causing my pc to reboot randomly with a bsod. If you could sugest me something else that would be ok for my pc, it'S would be ok. I think it will still be cheaper than buying a new pc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
See the link added in post #11, Antec 550W modular PSU 80% efficiency.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

so you are recommending this psu to go with the GTX 550 Ti? It says in the specs directx 11. I guess it means it goes up to 11 but will still run fine with version 9. Am i right? Ok then it will be sufficient enough to power up that card? Thanks for the help.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

Ok so i found this site for comparison http://www.hwcompare...rce-gtx-550-ti/ . Would you recommend the 2gb or the 1gb card? Would there be a lot of difference for the price?