Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best card for e6600 with asus p5b

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes the proposed card only requires a 400W minimum PSU with 24 amps on the 12 volt rail, the suggested PSU is 550W, has 3 12 volt rails and one of those has 25 amps available and the other 2 have 22 amps available on each.
The full details for the card can be found @ http://www.evga.com/...=01G-P3-1556-KR as far as the DX version is concerned it means that you will not get the maximum benefits of games that are DX10 or DX11 based.

Thanks for the help

You are welcome :) let us know when you are up and running or if we can help in any way.

Advertisements

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

ok but the textel rate being inferior on the ti i am wondering if the card is worth the gain it will give to graphics. I can,t find any comparison charts for the 2gb but would i change the performances a lot cause i could get one for 200$ . Would you go for something else for that kind of money^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry missed your last post, 1GB is plenty, 2GB is overkill unless your screen is bigger than 30" or you have multiple displays.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

as i said, ok but the textel rate being inferior on the gtx 550 ti, i am wondering if the card is worth the gain it will give to graphics. What do you think?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Pure marketing hype, see below;

Pixels and Texels
A look at the upcoming video card revolution
— by Roscoe A. Sincero

Until very recently, I used that equation. If you pay close attention to the units in the equation itself, you will discover that it does NOT work out to be Mtexels/s. I like everyone else blindly believed and used that equation. A couple of weeks ago, I believed in the same propaganda as everyone else. Several days ago, I realize I have been had. Folks, the equation is bogus. It is a "marketing fill-rate" that it is measuring. It tells you how many suckers per second will fill the bank accounts of marketing executives. The actual equation (from Beyond3D) to calculate the texturing fill-rate is the following:

For the record the 2 cards are worlds apart and the gtx 550 ti is far superior.

Spawn1

Spawn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

not too sure what you are saying about 2 cards (sli configuration?), But if it's far better card and i can obtain a better gaming rig without spending for an other computer then i will get the ti.

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

not too sure what you are saying about 2 cards

I was highlighting how much better that the overall performance of the gtx 550 is and nothing to do with Sli, sorry for the confusion.
You will see a vast improvement in your gaming with the new card and PSU, let us know when the parts arrive and also if we can be of assistance in any way.
If you intend to fit the card and PSU on your own please take the appropriate safety and anti static discharge measures to stay safe and prevent any damage to components, see my canned text below;
The following procedure requires the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.
1: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then fit the new card securely, do the same cleaning with the Ram slots/sticks.
2: Take the opportunity to clean out any other heat trapping dust, if you use canned compressed air do not allow any fan to spin freely as it may cause damage, hold them still with a Q-tip or clean popsicle stick and do not tip the can upside down as fluid can be emitted when doing so.
3: Make sure that all internal connections are secure before reassembly.

TIP: Make notes of where all the present power leads from the present PSU go to, you could use white sticky tape so that you can write on it then attach it to the appropriate cable and use it for reference later if you are unsure, thats the bonus of a modular PSU you only attach the cables you need to the PSU.