Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 freezes

• Please log in to reply

nofx1728

nofx1728

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok - I'm completely lost. First components:

MSI 785GT-E63 Motherboard - Bios s.7 (latest) - I had s.3 and had same issues
AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor 2.60 GHZ
G.Skill DDR2-800 4GB
Rosewill Green Series 80 Plus 630 Watt PS
Seagate 7200 Barracuda HDD
Samsung CD/DVD
Windows 7 64 Pro

I'm getting constant Freezes / Restarts and multiple errors. The restarts happen at various times - sometimes it doesn't fully load windows and it restarts. Sometimes it will run for an hour and then restart. Sometimes it will freeze to a black screen (computer fans and lights are still on) but needs forced restart. Sometimes it freezes with the screen still showing and needs a forced restart. One more thing to note - I was getting this same freeze with Windows xp pro. I just updated to Windows 7 64 bit Pro 2 days ago hoping that it would resolve the issue.

-I've run check disc on hard drive with no errors.
-I've run memory check on both sticks of memory no errors.
-I've tried using Onboard Video as well as installing a Graphics Card and error still occurs.
-I've swapped power supplies and error still occurs
-I've tried running off of 1 stick of memory (2GB) and computer boots but it gets visual problems across the tops of folders and stuff when I scroll my mouse. I get same thing with both sticks by their self but it goes away when both sticks are installed at the same time (I'm guessing this is just because windows 7 requires more memory to run.)
-I also ran Prime95 stress test (only for 1/2 hour) and everything passed

I tried clearing the CMOS on motherboard. I got a "Bios is not fully ACPI compliant" 0x00000A5 BSOD Error one time - but it has booted fine since.

I have all of the Windows 7 latest updates as well as all the manufactures latest drivers. I actually have a second machine with exact same setup, same drivers and same windows updates that are running fine.

I also am having an issue with connecting to the internet. I have a wired connection off a router and sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't. It is not an issue with the router because I have 2 other computers connected at the time of the issue. In Windows Event Viewer I get a DHCP-Client error - IP address lease 10.1.10.1 has been denied. I'm also getting a DNS error in the Event Viewer. I've reset the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)but still same issues.

For the freezing I am getting the following errors in Event-Viewer:

Event 41, Kernel-Power - All the details read 0x0

Event 6008

Event 1101 - Audit events have been drooped by the transport. 0x0

Event 1001, Bugcheck
0x0000124
(0x00000000000, 0xfffffa8004a0a5d8, 0x00000000000, 0x0000000000)

Any ideas?

Edited by nofx1728, 22 August 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

nofx1728

nofx1728

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
So I just swapped out identical memory from other working computer and I got the same freeze. So definitely not memory. Not psu. I tried swapping out hard drive for an older hard drive I had but I got BSOD on boot trying to run Windows XP Pro - but I'm assuming it is not the hdd because I've tested it. And I reformatted it. I've run 2 different o/s on it...

It seems to me like it is either motherboard or CPU. Most likely motherboard going bad... anyone thinking the same thing or something different?