Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing in Disk Check

• Please log in to reply

JP6824

JP6824

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello, thanks again for your help with my previous issue. My machine is working much better. Unfortunately, we have another PC here that is now having problems. It's a Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista. For some reason yesterday it went into disk check while being turned on and keeps freezing there. I can reboot and get it to the screen with the various choices for safe mode, but it will not actually go into safe mode. I tried "repair disk" from that page, which seemed to be working, but the process ended rather quickly and upon reboot the machine still goes into disk check and freezes in the same place. Hoping you can help again! I have the Windows Vista CD. Thanks...

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Hello JP6824,

Is there some specific event(s) that lead you to believe this is malware related? There were some malwares that did hijack chkdsk recently, but of course errors like this could also be just system issues (not that that is a plus). Post back more info on that please, before we start considering some possible solutions.

JP6824

JP6824

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, thanks for the response... The machine actually started working again, pretty much by itself. For a couple of days I was going back and forth between machines, doing searches and trying different fixes. Can't even remember what I had done just before, but after freezing in the usual spot for the umpteenth time, and while I was on the other computer looking for other fixes to try, the login screen came back and the machine has been working normally all week. A real head scratcher. There was no specific event that led me to believe it was malware related, I just assumed. Could very well have been wrong about that, I suppose... Thanks again!

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Good to read that. Kinda sounds like drive issues. If you know who made the hard drive, you can download the manufacturer's drive checking software, and verify your drive is OK. Here is a list of those, should that help.