Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacement graphics card

• Please log in to reply

sabinacwik

sabinacwik

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need to replace the graphics card on my Pc (currently have ATI 9800) as my screen is full of coloured blocks but am unsure of which graphics card to buy. The graphics card I have is out of date so can't buy that one. Any help would be great.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi sabinacwik :)
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.
There are other possible causes of this sort of issue with a bad PSU, heat
and driver issues prime candidates, let us know the above info and we can
take it from there.

sabinacwik

sabinacwik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My desktop PC is a AMD Athlon 3000XP Processor. The motherboard is ABIT NF7 nForce Athlon Motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Ok that is an older MB and it has the AGP type add on video card, before you replace it I suggest doing some testing first as you do not want to go to the expense of purchasing a new video card only for the problem to lie elsewhere.
Download and run Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot (as pictured below) this will allow us to check your temperatures and voltages, when if ever was the last time that you cleaned out the inside of the case of heat trapping dust and can you provide the previously requested PSU (power supply unit) details, brand name and output please.
Can you also let us know what country that you live in so we can look for a card there should it be required.