Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 4700 Integrated video disabled when pcie card is instlled.

• Please log in to reply

nickuww

nickuww

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a dell dimension 4700 that i upgraded to windows 7 ultimate and installed a Geforce 8400 GS video card in. The card works great and i have no problem installing drivers. But when i tried to hook up my second monitor to the onboard card it was disabled. I checked the bios and i tried setting it to auto...i also tried setting it to onboard but neither work. I only get a signal through my pcie card. The motherboard is completely shutting off the onboard video when the pcie card is installed. If i take out my card...it kicks the onboard back on. If anyone can give me a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi nickuww :)
Unless the option is disabled in the BIOS an add on video card overides the onboard chip, they do not work along side each other, what is the brand of Geforce 8400 GS so we can research it.

nickuww

nickuww

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
On the pcie video card it says nvidia - ASUS Ranger 200 rev 1.01

And i tried setting the onboard to enabled in the bios but still only get video through the pcie card when it is installed.

Edited by nickuww, 23 August 2011 - 11:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

And i tried setting the onboard to enabled in the bios but still only get video through the pcie card when it is installed

As I said previously they will not both work at the same time, it is either the integrated chip or the add on card not both, there are various reasons why it doesn`t work different drivers, different channels and frequencies etc.
Have a look at this topic http://forums.nvidia...l=dual monitors I know it is for the 8300 but the principal is the same and it will enable you to get the second monitor online.

EDIT: Just looked at the specs for your card, see below;

Input / Output

Display Interface

VGA - 15 pin D-Sub x 1 • DVI x 1 Using these two ports will allow you to have dual monitors using the method at the link I provided.

Output Interface

TV Out • HDTV Out
Good luck and let us know when you have both monitors up and running.

Edited by phillpower2, 23 August 2011 - 11:40 AM.