Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Design Avatars etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
My Queen, Your condition saddens me. I got your email. I do very much wish to become your pupil in the art of Graphic Arts. Please contact me online through AIM or MSN when you can. I have PM'd you both of my handles.

Advertisements

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks so much, SheZ!!!!! That avatar is AWESOME!!!! I dunno how you even managed to make something that cool! It must have been really tough, you would have put a lot of effort into it, how can I thank you enough?! If there's only one bit of criticism I had, it would be that the text in the round one is slightly distorted, like you said, but the square one is MAGNIFICENT! Thanks again for all the efforts you put into this avatar, I love it!
Oh, btw, my score on the cursor-chasing thief game was 610. Unfortunately, I was using Opera at the time, and couldn't take a screenshot. Anyways...

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Sorry I didnt get back here sooner, let me address the avatar size requirements.

FYI: This info is a bit confused. The terms of service don't actually address avatar size. However they DO address user posted images and that applies to our party pics. The terms of service state that pics need to be 16 kb and no larger than 50kb. SO, let's make ScHwErV proud of us! thumbsup.gif Make sure your images are as small as possible, yet not so small as to lose the point of posting one. smile.gif

For the record, I am proud of anyone who participates on this site. It wouldnt be what it is today without great users. Now to address your concerns and the GTG Terms Of Service.

• The posting of images is allowed on the support forums. But we insist on you keeping all images in your posts including the signature down to below 16Kb.

This is the part that talks about your avatar, all images in your signature, including your avatar must be below 16kb. I realise that it is difficult to make motion graphics that fit within this limit, I recommend making stationary ones, they are much easier to fit within those guidelines.

If it is necessary for you to post an image as a graphical means of displaying a problem you may be experiencing then please keep the image below 50Kb.

This part refers to images posted INSIDE a topic by a user to display a screenshot, image of a problem, or anything else. This has nothing to do with your avatar/signature.

I am trying to find out more about actual avatar size for us. I think that ppl realize when they come to this area of the forum that they are going to run into a lot of larger images. And I think that is exactly why they come here.(Ppl would rather look at pictures than read the words, laughing.gif ) I also believe that 21,209 views of this topic proves that point and justifies that remark.

The problem with your idea here is that the avatars you make here are not just used in this topic, they are used throughout the site and our users on dialup have a problem with that.

I have been working within the scope of keeping avatars under 100kb, which was the previous limit. Since the new software was installed, that number changed. The new rules for avatars state that an avatar can only be 30KB. And here's the kicker about that one.

The limit has never changed, during the upgrade we got the ability to change the number displayed on the upload page. However, the terms of service is an exact copy and paste of the old Terms of Service. The limit in the Terms of Service is the Bible that everything should be judged by.

It puts my ability to function here in SERIOUS jeopardy. It has been difficult to do the things that I have done within the confines of 100kb. To do it in roughly 1/3 of that is nearly impossible. IF that is the final word on what size avatars must be, I'm not sure how much longer I can be of any service here. NOT because I don't want to but because it makes it impossible for me to continue doing what I have been doing. I am terribly sad at the thought of it. IF you want this service to continue, talk to who you know, . Do whatever you know to do..............This is such a beautiful group of kind, wonderful ppl. I hope and pray this gets worked out. wub.gif Cuz I sure do luv all of you guys.
Whatever may come, I will still continue to do my best to complete all requests that are made here. But if something doesn't change, there will be very little that I can do. sad.gif

I am sorry that you feel you cannot make quality avatars without making them stationary. I have a stationary avatar and I see no problems with it. However, not everyone who comes here has a high speed internet connection. We are here to serve everyone, even the bandwidth challenged.

Lets just look at some numbers. The rotating orb that you have is 70kb. With a 56k modem that will take apporoximately 20 seconds to download. There are 15 posts on a page, that means a user on a dialup modem, looking at a full page of posts, would have to wait 5 minutes for the avatars to load if everyone's avatar was 70kb. That doesnt even count the images for the site, images in signatures, and images in posts, as well as all the text to display. 5 minutes for avatars + 2 minutes for other images = 7 minutes, how many people do you think would wait that long for one page?

ScHwErV :tazz:

Chopstix

Chopstix

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

One more thing before I retire my queen. I am almost ready to attempt a practice HJT log and was wondering if there is a magician around that can cast confidence upon me. I would not want you to mistake this as cowardly but rather that I tend to choke under stress. If you would please happen to have a magician, I would be so very grateful to you.

:tazz: I guess there isn't any magician?

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yeah, I see the problems with the page-loading and all that... Where do we go from here, then? Will SheZ begin making only stationary avatars? :tazz: :)
In the mean time, check out this cool FUN LINK, it's a sorta ping-pong-ish game, really fun, where you can curve the ball to earn points.

bennydog

bennydog

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey Go4fall,
I would love an avator done for my name.
(dont mention it to your cat :tazz: )
could you create it of a labrador collie plz
send it to Email Address Removed
many thanks
:)

Edited by ScHwErV, 11 December 2005 - 06:14 AM.

Jmody

Jmody

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Shez, I dunno what happened. I tried to type in the box when i got back and my trillian froze and now i cant re-open it back up. i been sitting here since then trying to figure it out. :tazz: errrr

Go4fall

Go4fall

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Oh, trillian, I shall try to rescue you this time,brave knight!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
http://www.miranda-im.com

Much smaller than Trillian and works just as goood.

Its also completely free, so you dont have to look at ads if you dont pay for the paid version.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Chopstix

Chopstix

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Shez, you have pay pal yet? You did my first avatar for free but I want to make a contribution to you for my second one. I checked the size of mine and it is over the limit so I would be looking to change it. Was thinking maybe small parts of the U.S and Canadian flags (formed like heads) kissing with canadian _bit through it.

:tazz: What can I say .... I'm a yank doing the canadian bit. :)

As for the magician ... I am just finishing up a chapter of my online novel so I will be doing my first attempt of hjt this week. If you can't find a magician .... I'll make the attempt without confidence. I just hope whom ever goes over it ... goes easy on me. Maybe handle me with some kid gloves.

Advertisements

Go4fall

Go4fall

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Shez, you have pay pal yet? You did my first avatar for free but I want to make a contribution to you for my second one. I checked the size of mine and it is over the limit so I would be looking to change it. Was thinking maybe small parts of the U.S and Canadian flags (formed like heads) kissing with canadian _bit through it.

:) What can I say .... I'm a yank doing the canadian bit. :woot:

As for the magician ... I am just finishing up a chapter of my online novel so I will be doing my first attempt of hjt this week. If you can't find a magician .... I'll make the attempt without confidence. I just hope whom ever goes over it ... goes easy on me. Maybe handle me with some kid gloves.

I suppose I shall work my way backwards today and begin with the lovely Lady Glo. Because I have something special for her. Lady Glo, it is not because of indifference that I have failed to offer you the services of a magician. It is but a simple matter of having had the last one beheaded after a golfing incident. And good magicians are hard to come by. Most ppl already have their royals titles. Perhaps ScHwErV could become our new magician? We need to welcome him and make him feel at home with us. He is a very smart guy and can teach us many things. We would do well to learn from him! And, if he would accept, I would be most willing to crown him as the Royal Magi, a most high ranking office. Second only to The Queen and her trusted guard.
But, back to giving you a little magic. It is my job to make sure the ppl in our fair land have what they need. And given that some MAY whisper that the beheading of the aforementioned Magician was in someway MY fault :) :tazz: I have gone to extreme lengths to acquire magic for you. I sent forth a unit of my finest soldiers with instructions to not return until they could bring to me what was found at the end of the rainbow.
I am most pleased to announce that they did return today and brought this wonderful, shining abundance of mystical, magical fairy dust. Which is a sufficient quantity to last our Kingdom for a very long time.
So, Lady Glo, go ahead, reach in, grab a little, make your wish, blow on it and it will be yours.
Posted Image :P

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ScHwErV is exactly right. The size of someone's avatar PLUS their signature images cannot exceed 16kb total Going through this thread, almost everyone's avatars exceed this, some of them by quite a great amount. I never realized how huge most of these were, or I would have said something before now.
For all of you whose avatars are way over the limit, you need to get them reduced or changed..and quickly. Or we will have to remove them for you.
We are NOT trying to be "mean". We are trying to abide by the TOS, and make this site friendly for ALL users. :tazz:

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

ScHwErV is exactly right. The size of someone's avatar PLUS their signature images cannot exceed 16kb total Going through this thread, almost everyone's avatars exceed this, some of them by quite a great amount. I never realized how huge most of these were, or I would have said something before now.
For all of you whose avatars are way over the limit, you need to get them reduced or changed..and quickly. Or we will have to remove them for you.
We are NOT trying to be "mean". We are trying to abide by the TOS, and make this site friendly for ALL users. :tazz:

Yeah, I can understand that...too bad, though...my new avatar is awesome...
That stationary avatar looks good, though, for a Lady Glo, maybe you could make more like it, SheZ.

Go4fall

Go4fall

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Yeah, I can understand that...too bad, though...my new avatar is awesome...
That stationary avatar looks good, though, for a Lady Glo, maybe you could make more like it, SheZ.

My Dear Prince,
That is not a new avatar but holds the magic for the entire Kingdom! It belongs to all of us. :tazz: And your questions of will I continue, what will I do? Well, I suppose we will all just have to take life one day at a time and find out.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

My Dear Prince,
That is not a new avatar but holds the magic for the entire Kingdom! It belongs to all of us. :) And your questions of will I continue, what will I do? Well, I suppose we will all just have to take life one day at a time and find out.

Oh, my bad :tazz: :) . Sorry, thought it was a request lol. Yeah, I guess we can only wait and see...