Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Move Program Files & Program Files (x86)

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I installed Windows 7 onto a small SSD, I have a Program Files drive, a files drive, and a scratch disk. (Four Hard Drives - No Raid.)

Certain programs do not give me an option where to install, and still other programs install supplemental software to the default directory as well.

I know Windows does not recommend this, but I would like to move my Program Files and Program Files (x86) (hereon referred to as PF) to disk G: and remove the C:PFs as my C: drive only has .98 GB left.

I copied and pasted the PF folders to drive G:, I changed the regedit entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion to G:\Program Files and G:\Program Files (x86) respectively.

Can I delete the C:\PFs now? Or is Windows still referencing those?

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
My question should have been, how do I free up disk space on my system drive (Windows 7.)

I found a bunch of options to do just that here.

C: went from having 1 GB free to 11.8 free.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
No. Editing only a line of registry is not enough to move Program Files. It is default by windows and also has a lot of settings, you cannot go further without changing this. Unfortunately, I don't know how to change this settings, but I don't recommend you to do this.
Uninstall unnecessary softwares to free up disk space. If you don't know why your computer has no space, then use TuneUpUtillites or SystemMechanic to free up space.
And if you still want much space (as your main problem is about disk space), install a clean version of windows and enhance your C: drive space, you can do it directly from Windows 7 disc.