Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google redirect virus

• Please log in to reply

iolande

iolande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Ron

Everything done!

Only one glitch - I couldn't follow your instructions to delete combofix. I tried right clicking on it and chose delete programme. I hope that is all ok.

The PDF thing scared me a bit - I'm forever downloading PDFs of journal articles for my research. I have made a note of your instructions for that (and everything else) so that I can keep my computer updated.

The good news is that I haven't been redirected from google over the last 24 hours so hopefully your magic tricks have worked ;-)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Good.

Make sure you update your Adobe Reader if you haven't already done so. You originally had: Adobe Reader 9.4.2 and they are up to 10 something these days.

iolande

iolande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Adobe all updated. This hippo programme looks handy too. I'll subscribe to Avast at the end of the trial as well. *sigh* so many viruses in the world!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Trial? They have a free version that is almost as good. That's what I was pointing you at.

iolande

iolande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Oh - I do have a free version. I think I got confused with Norton (which is now gone from my laptop)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Good. Make sure you register it. In a year or so they will ask you to register again and will try to sell you the paid version but you can still reregister for the free.

I like to open Avast then under Settings, Sounds uncheck Automatic Updates. That just keeps her from announcing that "virus database has been updated" it doesn't stop the automatic updates. I leave my computer on all the time and I don't like to hear a disembodied voice in the middle of the night.

If you are feeling paranoid you can also install the free Online Armor firewall. http://www.online-armor.com/
It works well with Avast tho you may need to tell it that files that start with as... are allowed to go to the internet.

Ron

iolande

iolande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I didn't know you could turn the voice off! I will do that now. It is a bit strange - but for me it is more the American accent when I'm used to hearing Australian accents all day!

I'll leave the firewall for now, but have made a note of it just in case.

Google is working perfectly now - its taking me where I want to go :-) I have my life back (or at least my study tool!). Thank-you so much for your help over the last few days, it is very much appreciated.