Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor on the top left

• Please log in to reply

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hello all,

I'm new here and am so glad I found this site. I have a sony vaio laptop running windows xp and while working on my website, all of a sudden it went black and the cursor started blinking.

I can not reboot or anything. Can someone please help me cause I have to have this for my job.

Thanks
lavonda

Advertisements

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have been reading some of the topics and one said to reboot using the windows xp disk. I dont have disk, my computer came with xp on it and did not include a disk. What do I need to do now?

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Have you forced a shutdown? If not, hold down the power button until the computer turns off. See if it restarts OK.

If it didn't come with a CD you probably have a recovery partition. Many manufacturers are cutting back and give you an option to create a recovery CD with your own CDs.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have done the shutdown and that did not work.....I dont have any disk or cd to recover. Can someone take me thru the steps to fix this problem. I tried to hit the f8 button but all it does is beep.

PLEASE help me

Thanks
lavonda

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you borrow a XP disk of the same version you have installed...IE: Home, Media or Pro?
If not then the following will allow you to create a Recovery disk with the usernit file you probably need.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Extra Files.
  • Please copy the codebox below into the text area.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm not really good with all the teck stuff so i'll need a little extra help if you dont mind.

How am I suppose to download when I cant get on the comptuer. At the moment Im using my desktop, but the problem is with my laptop.

If you could put it more in terms that I can understand, I would appreciate it. I'm sorry about this, I know that i'm beign a pain but all my stuff for my website is on the laptop and i have to get it back.

Thanks for helping me out, and whatever you can do to help me save my files, i would appreciate it.

Have a blessed day
lavonda

Download with your desktop and create the cd via the instructions. Then put the cd in the laptop and then follow the instructions for setting up the boot sequence on the laptop and everything should work from there. :)

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I put the cd in and nothing has happened.....do I need to restart or something? I dont know what to do....I dont know anything about this kind of stuff...Please tell me what to do next. Thanks for helping me out....I really appreciate it.

Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 24 August 2011 - 08:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you need to restart and make sure the cdrom is the first boot device in the bios. Here are the instructions for that.

· Insert your ARCDC in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the ARCDC.cd

Then follow the instructions below:

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Well, i put the cd in, restarted and nothing happened. Still getting the black screen with the blinking light and nothing came up. There is a yellow blinking light on the dvd player, which I have no idea what it means.

Now what? I'm assuming that it's more serious than I expected, right?

If you have any ideas, please let me know asap. But my guts telling me that I've lost everything.

Talk to you soon, and thanks for your help.
Lavonda

Yes you need to restart and make sure the cdrom is the first boot device in the bios. Here are the instructions for that.

· Insert your ARCDC in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the ARCDC.cd

Then follow the instructions below:

When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd ExtraFiles
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Edited by lavondaljt, 25 August 2011 - 11:56 AM.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
sorry about the PM.....will post here from now on.....anyway....I finally got into bios...what option do i choose? network..floppy...optical...hard drive?

I hope that we can take this one step at a time....thanks for you patience.

Oh yea, in order to get to bios, as it was restarting i hit the F1 key a couple of times and that's what took me there. just thought I would let you know.

Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 25 August 2011 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Optical drive first and then the hard drive. Make sure to click F10 to save and exit

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
AWWWWWWWWWW.........I got all the way to this point

D:
cd ExtraFiles

The last thing I entered was "cd ExtraFiles", pressed enter and it said that there was no cd in the cdrom. How can that be when it just ran all the other stuff that I copied onto the disk. I even checked the disk to make sure that "Extrafiles" was on there and ran it again. It stopped at the same place and said the same thing.

What do i do now? Please help me fix this.....We've got this far.

Thanks
Lavonda

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have a issue with the cdrom itself.
Did you check it on the laptop to verify?
Is it possible to borrow a external cdrom from a friend?

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
URGENT I FOUND A XP DISK

I put it in and it started doing the same thing as the file that you gave me. It as now stopped loading the files and the screen is at the place where it ask if you want to repair windows.

I hit the "1" button then enter
it took me to the C:\Windows prompt.

I hit d: It looks like this C:\Windows>D:

D:\> ( NOW WHAT)

I dont know what to do next......PLEASE Help ASAP

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
D:
cd ExtraFiles
exit