Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor on the top left

• Please log in to reply

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok, it's back to the c:/windows prompt. It ran for about an hour or so and then it said this...

"chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors"
134206976 kilobyts total
84021024 available

4096 in each allocation unit
33441344 total alloc on dsk
21005256 avail alloc on disk

now what?

Yes. Please run chkdsk /r. This command is the most versatile and useful of all windows repair commands. This is the command to start with.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun it to assure that it found and corrected everything. :)

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
It has taken a while to get to the windows setup with a blue screen page then it started loading the files, but when it got to "kernal debugger dll" or something like that, it just stopped. It stayed there about 20 min then it gave this message in the middle of the page.

file setupdd.sys could not be loaded
the error code is 7

press any key to exit

What do we do next?

Please help me out if you can..... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you rerun chkdsk /r :)

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
kept trying untill i was able and finally got it to run chkdsk for the second time.... it's running now .... will let you know when it's finished....it just started.....so stay tuned.

It's now 10:20pm and I just checked the laptop....it says "100% Complete"

That's it.....doesn't say anything else....not like last time when it said "found and fixed one or more errors".....just "100% complete"

Now what? Let me know...

Thanks
Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 27 August 2011 - 09:27 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Guys he keeps saying 1396 instead of i386. Is that what he is typing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep the command is I386 not 1386
That is I as in A, b, C, D, E, F, G, H, I

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok.....the chkdsk says 100% complete, i am assuming thats what it should say....so do I go back and start over again and type in "i386" instead of 1386 and see what happens then.

Wait!! Instead of rebooting and starting from the very beginning can I just type in "E" at the "100% complete" prompt and then do what's below?

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

E:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

Tell me if this is right, or tell me what I need to do next.

I WONT DO ANYTHING TILL I HEAR FROM YOU......

Thanks
Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 28 August 2011 - 11:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should be able to just type E: at the prompt and continue with the instructions from there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Excuse me for asking: After chkdsk /r finished you were supposed to reboot the computer by typing Exit. did you do that? What happened? Did it remain like it was before (blinking cursor on a black screen)?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skeptic you are right, I am having a no brain moment.
Lavonda please reboot before doing anything else after chkdsk has finished.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hey guys, thanks for staying here with me during this ordeal.....i have just rebooted and it flashed 2 screens and did the blinking cursor thing again.....I am now trying to reboot and get back to the "recovery console"....

I think i'm doing it right by hitting the "DEL" key on the first screen!?. If not please tell me

But i'm not giving up....we've all come this far and yall have hung in there with me, so as long as there is someone that has ideas, i'm gonna keep trying.

Thanks,
Lavonda

UPDATE as of 4:20pm sunday

Ok, guys....if someone can get back to me asap....i am in the recovery console...is this what i need to do after i get the c/windows prompt?

c:/windows
E:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

**WHAT ABOUT THE I386 command that I am suppose to do? Do I still need to do that and if so, where and how?

Excuse me for asking: After chkdsk /r finished you were supposed to reboot the computer by typing Exit. did you do that? What happened? Did it remain like it was before (blinking cursor on a black screen)?

Edited by lavondaljt, 28 August 2011 - 03:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i have just rebooted and it flashed 2 screens and did the blinking cursor thing again

Black screens or blue screens?
When you reboot it should be going to the cd again so you can get to the recovery console.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
rshaffer....It went to the black screen at first, but I kept tapping the "DEL" button and it went into the "recovery console"......

I added an update to my previous post, so you can read it before posting back so you can maybe get a sense of exactly where i am. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are using the actual XP disk the instead of doing the extrafiles you will use the I386 step :)