Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor on the top left

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you should be able to save the files on your desktop with no problem since they are part of programs like Frontpage.

Backing up IE favorites is going to be a little more difficult since you can't actually get into Windows right now.

You can do it using Puppy by finding the following folder.

Backup your Internet Explorer Favorites folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user account\Favorites (XP)

Advertisements

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ok it keeps stopping and saying it cant download this file or that file over and over. I have rebooted 4 times already and I was wondering if i could use the other option of loading a new copy of windows. It gives you two options, to repair or reload new copy. Can that be done.

Edited by lavondaljt, 30 August 2011 - 02:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that would be my next step but I want to make sure you do this correctly or all your data will be gone.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I guess the XP disc that I found is not any good cause I keep getting "cannot copy file" errors and it stops.

In your opinion, what should I do now?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Best option is try to find another Genuine XP installation disk to do the install.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
URGENT: OMGosh....I took the disk out and it rebooted itself, and I got the Windows Logo....it kept going.....I was holding my breath....it kept going....I am now looking at my desktop...everything is still there just as it was..the only thing is that whenever I move a system folder (with the blue line across the top) from one side of the screen to the other, it's like watching it move on acid...it leaves a trail...does that make sense?....

How is this happening? What the [bleep] happened....It didn't even finish the setup or anything....I am at a point where I think I should BACKUP to a disk.

But all I can find is create a restore point. I want to backup to a cd. That should save everything, pics, desktop, my docs, programs and everything right?

Please tell me the best way and the fastest way, cause i dont know how long this is going to last. I could get a black screen again any minute.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

How is this happening? What the [bleep] happened....It didn't even finish the setup or anything....I am at a point where I think I should BACKUP to a disk.

Yep do that since you are in windows right now.

Please tell me the best way and the fastest way, cause i dont know how long this is going to last. I could get a black screen again any minute.

Since you are in Windows you can backup all the data by simply copy and paste to a cd in whatever burning software you use.
If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

If Email does not open or says not default mail handler then go HERE

If none of the above will work then try going to HERE

To backup IE favorites and settings go HERE

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
You can also use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
URGENT:

How is this done? Can i get a little more info on how to transfer to a disk? It mentions connecting a cable from one computer to another but that's not what i wnat to do....I want to transfer them to a cd. Will it work that way?

You can also use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can follow my instructions and simply copy and paste in whatever burning software you use.
No need for the file transfer thing as it is used mostly for high quantity saving where you are looking to backup only certain files.
Just insert your flash drive and start copying over your pics, documents and IE\Outlook stuff.

Advertisements

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Ok, will do.....but one quick question. How come when i move a folder around on the screen does it leave a trail behind it. It's like watching it move in slow motion.

Thanks once again for all your help. If i have any more questions you can bet i'll be coming back to this thread so dont stop "watching" it ok....I'm sure I'm not thru for today....

Talk to you later
Lavonda

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe there is something in the settings that has been reset to allow for tails when moving things. I will research it and see what I can. Please do not reboot no matter what you do right now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I found something if you can check it for me please.

Go to Start then to Control Panel.
Now click on Mouse and in the new window click on the Pointer Options tab at the top of the window.
In this window you will see a area named Visibility and I need to know if the following box is checked,
Display pointer trails

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
You dont have to worry about me rebooting, cause i'm not gonna do anything untill i get my files copied...... :) :unsure:

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
NO.....there is no check mark in that box....does that help?