Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black Screen with Blinking Cursor on the top left

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

NO.....there is no check mark in that box....does that help?

Yes and No. It gives me the info but it also tells me that is not what is causing the trails you are getting. I will keep looking for a solution.

Advertisements

abulfas

abulfas

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hello i just read everything... i have the same problem with my laptop... i just put my disk after that blue screen loaded i press R and after that it gives me a message: SETUP DID NOT FIND ANY HARD DISK DRIVES INSTALLED IN YOUR COMPUTER.... my problem is this flashing courser on the top left screen... it happend after one friend bring a hard disk with usb and put it on my laptop to take some movies....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: abulfas

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved. Your issue is more there is no hard disk identified and from what you described may be in part due to a infection passed on from your friends USB drive. Other steps must be gone through in your case to determine the problem first. First step I would suggest is to check your BIOS and see if your hard drive is identified there. Then post the results in your first post in your topic when you start it.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

abulfas

abulfas

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i creat a new topic but u dont answer

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Shaffer,

I forgot to mention this morning that a message popped up after eveerything loaded cause I really didn't think much of it. when i rolled over it with my mouse, it went away.. It said something to the fact the "ATI Control Panel could not be loaded, and something about the ATI Driver being corrupt".

Sorry I dont remember exacty what it said, but if it popps up again I will write it down.

What does that mean and do i need to download the driver?

Did you ever find out anything about the trail? I've been copying files all day, and need to get another flash drive to finish up.

It seems to be running a little slower than it did, I dont think that it's still all that stable. It's just running kinda weird.

Let me know what you find out ok.

Talk to you soon

Lavonda

Edited by lavondaljt, 31 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I haven't found anything on the trails but I'm sure we have a driver issue. The video driver may be the issue.
Try to get all the stuff backed up and also can you tell me what video card you have?
I will go back through the topic and see if I can find a reference to it somewhere.
In fact try this but you have to be using IE to do it.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hey schaffer, you still around? sorry i haven't been, but been out of pocket and unabel to get back with you....well so far, i've still got a working computer. Like i said, dont know how it happened, but it's working.

Do you want me to still do what you siad in the above post? When I open windows, i get this message

"The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed, or it's not working proberly. The ATI panel will now exit"

Does this have anything to do iwth the driver you were talking about? If so, will what you told me to do in the above post fix the problem?

I'm gonna wait till i hear from you to do anything.

Talk to you soon.
Lavonda

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Pc PitStop will tell me what your video card is so I can find the newest driver for you.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Here's the URL that i think will tell you what you were wanting to know.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24537987

Thanks
Lavonda

for some reason it didnt show the whole address, so i'm copying it again...hope you can still get to the page.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24537987

Edited by lavondaljt, 02 September 2011 - 11:13 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

DISPLAY ATI Technologies Inc. MOBILITY RADEON 9200

There we go. :)

Now lets try a third party to get the correct driver called DriverMax. Download and install the free version. Run it and let it find any and all drivers you can upgrade.
Once it has identified all the drivers then get the video driver first.

Also I notice just a lot of issues that need to be looked at so once this is taken care of we will continue with the Pc Pitstop fixes.

Advertisements

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Not real sure what the quote "DISPLAY ATI Technologies Inc. MOBILITY RADEON 9200" meant, so you might have to explain it to me a little further. I'm assuming that it has something to do with the error message that I've been getting when I start windows because of the letters "ATI" being in your quote.

"The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed, or it's not working proberly. The ATI panel will now exit"

And as for working on the other problems that the Pitstop found, thank you for even wanting to continue helping me fix them. I can honestly say that in the 5 years that i have been working online, and with all the problems and questions that I have had, YOU have helped me out more than anyone i've ever talked to.

I'll get back with you once I finish. TTYL
Lavonda

UPDATE: FINISHED WITH THE DRIVER SCAN

Will you take a look at the page below and let me know what drivers these are and which one I need to do first. There are so many, I dont know which one's are important and which ones are not. Here's the link:

http://www.drivermax...&iduser=2477392

Edited by lavondaljt, 02 September 2011 - 02:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

DISPLAY ATI Technologies Inc. MOBILITY RADEON 9200

This is saying your video card is a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 series card.
Your error message states that the driver and software for that card are missing or corrupted.
I would suggest if you have a drivers disk for the video card then load the drivers from there. Then open the Catalyst software program and you should be able to update the driver from there.

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I dont have disk for the drivers or any software. It seems like everytime i take a step forward, i end up taking 10 steps backwards. So what do I do now since i dont have the driver software? Is there anywhere I can download it?

What do you think. Did you look at the link from the DriverMax that has all the drivers that need to be updated? I put it in my last post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK not a issue yet. What is the make and model of the system again?

lavondaljt

lavondaljt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Sony Vaio PCG-V series PCG-6B1L

Running Windows XP

DriverMax found a driver called "Mobility Radeon 9200" is that the same one I'm getting the error on? It had an X beside it so I went ahead and downoaded it like you said. There were a lot of other X's on there too.

A small box just popped up while downloading the driver and it says

source: c:\windows\system32\drvstore\....\ati2evxx.exe
target: c:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.exe

target file exist but is a different language than the source

overwrite the english (canada) with the english (USA)

Yes No

Edited by lavondaljt, 02 September 2011 - 07:19 PM.