Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
so is this pretty much it until it freaks out again?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well hopefully it won't freak out again.
With any luck we have gotten it resolved now.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
hope so. can I remove all the stuff you had me download now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep everything we used can be uninstalled now.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
now that we have this seemingly resolved, what do you know about networking and internet connections?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A little by not my area of expertise. I am willing to try though.
:)

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I have cable internet and a wireless router. My connection will cut out without any notice. This happens frequently. If I unplug the router or the modem and plug it back in the connection will come back. Its been getting really frequent these last few days, including 3 times in the last 3 hours I've been online. I'm thinking its the router being old but I have no idea about this kind of stuff. If you cant help can you point me towards someone here who can?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First suggestion is to call your ISP and have them run not only a signal strength test but also a line noise test.
Second I would suspect maybe a failing network controller on your motherboard.
Third I would say it could be a faulty router or the modem. How old is the router or modem?
If you connect to it using a wire does the issue still happen?

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
The modem and router are around 4 years old. Its wired to my computer and wireless around the rest of the house. I've never tried unplugging the line and sticking it directly into the computer when the problem hit before. I will try that next time it happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You say it i wireless for the rest of the house. Do any other systems have any problem staying connected?

Advertisements

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
when the connection drops it drops everywhere. but if I unplug either the router or the modem and plug it back in things work fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is the router\modem or the ISP signal.
If it was one system I would say it was that particular system but this is the whole house.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Can I bother you with another issue that has cropped up?

When I do anything with the computer that sends up a dialog box my computer will beep. I thought maybe my computer un-muted itself so I went to the volume control button on the task bar to re-mute the computer. Problem is the thing vanished. Knowing that the usual response to anything bad happening for the first time is to reset I did that and the button returned and the beeps stopped. This was yesterday. It happened again last night, rebooting making it go away. It happened twice today also, reboots returned the button and stopped the beeps.

I know your primary response is I need a new computer. Yeah I know that but just cant afford it right now. I gotta squeeze a few more months atleast out of it. I know none of the problems I have been having seem to be major just annoying but they rack up. Have you heard of anything like this before?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are talking about a error message box that pops up and you get a single beep?

As for the system un-muting itself that could be a sign of a issue with the volume control, the actual audio chip on the motherboard or the OS.
By chance is your keyboard capable of controlling your audio? If so it may be a sticky keyboard key causing the issue.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Its anytime I get a box to pop up. Like when my computer says "Do you want to save? Yes or No", it beeps when I hit the button. Thankfully that's the only box to really pop up. By the way it happened again this morning. Started up and the volume control icon was out of the, well whatever the part of the task bar that contains the clock is called. I can manually open the volume control box and it has the button for "place volume control icon in the taskbar" checked. My keyboard can control the volume, but would anything on it prevent the whole thing from loading? That seems to be the issue here, that its not loading.