Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow running notebook and other issues i address

• Please log in to reply

Esther Hinojosa

Esther Hinojosa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
home edition
ver 2002
service pack 3
intel atom
cpu n270
1.60 GHZ
0.99 gb ram

have a recurring prob for past 6 months. comes and goes.
notebook will work fine, then will run very sluggish. nothing big in memory in the notebook. all in ext. harddrive. tried defrag and the 'free up space' one. noticed at the same time, that process 'avp.exe' on windows task manager(wtm)would be high and will continue to climb till cpu is tween 95-100%, making it difficult to run anything else. at the moment, 'avp.exe' is at 116k, prev at 68k at startup of notebook. cpu was at 50-55%, now at 70-75%. sometimes my Kaspersky program will be faulty at these times, claiming that databases were corrupt. i would have to shut down/restart notebook several times b4 it fixed itself.

furthermore, when i load either firefox or explorer, cpu goes to 100% and takes awhile to load just the homepage. it was fine a cpl days ago, running smooth w/no probs. even loading facebook games was smooth. now it takes forever and runs glitchy. also, noticed firefox runs 'plug-in container.exe' while loading games. it will reach past 390k according to wtm, cpu at 100% constant. again never had this prob b4. i love firefox and want to continue using it. i want to fix it.

i was told that my old modem could be the prob. i supposedly get 54mbps but i dont. we put in a new one yesterday. the speed is slower for me. it feels like the notebook is having a hard time grasping the net. dad's pc works great. not sluggish as mine but his is connected to the router while mine is wireless.

finally, why are there so many things running, according to wtm, on this notebook? my lil bro has a 17 inch toshiba laptop and runs not even 10 things in the background, while mine has over 30. it doesnt make sense why such a little thing has to run so much more while a huge one does not.

i dont know how to take pics and show u guys whats going on. idk any pc jargon as well. i end up making my own terms. if this is not the place to post this, paste a link for the forum i am supposed to put it.

thank you guys for reading this and any advice you give :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
avp.exe belongs to Kaspersky. Download the latest version available and save to your hard drive. Then uninstall Kaspersky from Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. Reboot and install the new version. See if that fixes the problem.

You might want to think about removing Kaspersky and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a well rated AV program and puts a very small load on the system.