Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Hard Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My Hard Drive recently died on my Sony Vaio (VGNFW235JH). The HD was a 250GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive. I spoke with a Sony representative, and he said I needed to replace the HD with the exact same model, which is 250 dollars. Here is the link he gave me:

https://servicesales...ext=VGNFW235J/H

I did some looking around on the internet and saw some HDs that were much cheaper than that. Here is one I found:

http://www.tigerdire...2879&CatId=2459

My question is are HDs universal? If I bought this HD will it fit and function in my Sony Vaio? Sometimes I see the number 3.5" in HD desciption, does this indicate that HDs come in different sizes? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know why they said it has to be the exact model. You are going to have to reinstall the OS anyway since it is a laptop. A 2.5" hard drive is all you need. Did they give you any reasoning behind this comment?
:)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

My Hard Drive recently died on my Sony Vaio (VGNFW235JH). The HD was a 250GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive. I spoke with a Sony representative, and he said I needed to replace the HD with the exact same model, which is 250 dollars. Here is the link he gave me:

https://servicesales...ext=VGNFW235J/H

I did some looking around on the internet and saw some HDs that were much cheaper than that. Here is one I found:

http://www.tigerdire...2879&CatId=2459

My question is are HDs universal? If I bought this HD will it fit and function in my Sony Vaio? Sometimes I see the number 3.5" in HD desciption, does this indicate that HDs come in different sizes? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

that is crazy price for a 250GB drive!

that price is really good! but it is a 3.5" drive witch will not fit in you laptop!! you need to get a 2.5" drive to fit in you laptop.
this is what you need or something simulair to this

hdd in general are universal i have put Westerndigital drives in toshiba's, toshiba drives in dell pc's and the all worked fine.
the only thing i'm not sure about is if it works with your OEM operating system. but i will look in to that for you and get back to you as soon i got a answer!
if you buy this drive it will not work in your sony like i stated before you need a 2.5" drive
yes hard drives come in different sizes 1.8" 2.5" and 3.5" are the most used sizes

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i'm not sure about is if it works with your OEM operating system. but i will look in to that for you and get back to you as soon i got a answer!

This is the key but even with a replacement of the same make and model the OS has to be reinstall since the original drive is gone along with any recovery partition.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

i'm not sure about is if it works with your OEM operating system. but i will look in to that for you and get back to you as soon i got a answer!

This is the key but even with a replacement of the same make and model the OS has to be reinstall since the original drive is gone along with and recovery partition.

true but he might be able to make a clone of the drive witch makes everything allot easier and that might be away around installing the OEM OS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to the original post the original hd is dead. No chance of cloning now.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
true

tunasalad27

tunasalad27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks everybody for the answers -- you've just saved me a lot of trouble.

I didn't make recovery discs for windows vista so I was planning on trying to download linux to the new HD since it's free. Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a shot.