Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smartphone Debate - Blackberry vs iPhone vs Android

• Please log in to reply

derek1024

derek1024

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey guys,

This kind of debate seems really cliche since we argue about stuff like this all the time. However, my phone contract is almost up and I'm really torn between the three types of smartphones. I hear many good things about each and every one of them but I also hear the negatives as well.

I'm a student who prioritizes on accessing the Internet with his smartphone and wants to get his hands on as many kinds of apps as possible.

Here's what I hear about each phone so far. Dispel any of these "myths" if you know the truth to it please.

Blackberry
- Good for business purposes such as emailing
- Terrible browser
- Almost no customization other than the background and icons.
- Archaic OS
- Many service failures by RIM
- Nice QWERTY keyboard for most
- Trackball limits a lot of the experience

Android
- Relatively good browser
- High-end phones are much better than Blackberries (in terms of specifications)
- Relatively less apps than the iPhone
- Easy to get infected with malware on the market.
- Messy, awkward looking user interface (my personal opinion)
- Hard to type with touch screen
- A lot of customization options

iPhone
- Secure app store
- Expensive to buy
- Very similar to Android?

If anyone has more to add to these, feel free to do so. I want to get the most out of my smartphone without having any regrets. While I believe that there isn't the "perfect" phone, there's always one that's slightly better than the others :)

Thanks in advance.
Derek

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I would go for Android + iPhone

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
While the android phones are very good( my wife uses one with PDAnet to access the internet on her laptop), the newest blackberrys are also very good. I had acces to a BB bold 9930 with OS 7 and it was just as fast as the android. Too bad the bold is so expensive. I like cheap phones. Iphones are very good also, good enough to watch movies fron the net. Guess it's about price.

Most Expensive = Iphone
slightly less expensive = Blackberry
Cheapest but still very good = Android

SRX660

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would recommend Android phones. There are LOTS of free apps (games as well as productivity ones) available through Google Play store. There are also several paid apps, but with so many free ones, I haven't felt the need to pull out the credit card.

Androids are pretty easy to use and intuitive. If you do have trouble figuring something out, there are plenty of youtube videos and webpages with help (although I've found that iPhones have lots of support too, haven't bothered looking up Blackberry)

There are some Samsung models that have the Android OS as well as a slide out keyboard. Also, the Android OS comes with a built in voice to text functionality on its keyboard which makes emails or txt messages pretty easy (although not exactly private). The voice to txt functionality picks up what you say pretty well and I only end up having to change a few words here and there before sending it off. This functionality can be great if you know how to say something, but not how to spell it lol.

The iPhone is more expensive than most Android phones and doesn't have as many (any?) free apps available. It would be great if you're already an apple user since you'd be familiar with how it works. I, personally, find apple products confusing, so I stay away from them, but to each his or her own :D

Happy phone hunting if you haven't purchased your new one already :D

jessicalennita

jessicalennita

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I would strongly opt for the android phones and then iphones. They are the best phones which have lots of useful applications. Android has the best browsers and relatively customizable. They comes with the many good features and are highly recommended.

smith.R.jhon

smith.R.jhon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I think android is now best as it has developed so well in recent time and has lots of apps online.

keithlorto

keithlorto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I love iPhone because apple is come with new technology and application which is unique from other phones. Iphone 5 is really amazing phone and there are lots of new features available in this smart phone.

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
In my opinion both are for what kind of person you are.
Iphone-you want a music player that's a has an easy design and fell
Android-you like being able to do just about any thing you'd do with a PC.

My choice is always android, but I do recommend iPhones to others as there need is different than my owm

usman8001

usman8001

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm going to get a smart phone finally. The reviews seem to favor the droid, but a lot of people have Iphones.

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
The iPhone is commonly bought because of the reputation that apple made with its devices that and it is a solid system that is locked down air tight. For droid it allows you a bit more movement to tinker with and play around the the OS.

Barpanda

Barpanda

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Don't consider anything else, Apple is the way to go.

Top tier production quality and high customer satisfaction levels.

I'd change this iPhone list up a bit:

iPhone
- Great for business purposes such as emailing, syncing corporate contacts, and everything else.
- Great for students
- Secure app store
- Expensive to buy... relative to what? They may be on the higher end, but they're still very much competitive with similar devices.
- Very similar to Android... In what ways? Remember, Apple came first.
- Product reliability
- Awesome ergonomics
- TONS of aftermarket accessories
- more...

TiffanyHwang

TiffanyHwang

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Go for Android. It's more user-friendly and has different units that are a lot cheaper than Iphone. :happy:

SavageOpress

SavageOpress

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Android for me is better and cheaper than Iphone. :thumbsup: