Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Free up Space

• Please log in to reply

Matt_Xx

Matt_Xx

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a capacity of 25gb on my hard drive and 2gb free, how do I free up some space?

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Matt_Xx,

Since you don't list the operating system you have it's hard to direct you to a specific page. The 25GB hard drive would indicate an older system with maybe Windows XP on it.
As a general guide to free up disk space have a look at this page. But I wouldn't recommend compressing old files. Or this page.

For cleaning out temp files, if you are on Windows XP or above you can download the temporary file cleaner program TFC by OldTimer. It will do a thorough job of deleting ALL temp files from ALL users on the computer. You have to run it with Administrator privileges. You can download it here.

Hope this helps.

Matt_Xx

Matt_Xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am on windows xp, how do you log on as administrator?

Edited by Matt_Xx, 25 August 2011 - 04:22 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
If this does not work then:

Go to:

Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Those are great solutions but if already desperately low on disk space, and with only 2Gb free, you are desperately low, I personally would not download more programs that take up more disk space. Not when Windows already has the tools you need.

As godawgs reported, Disk Cleanup from the drive's Properties > Tools menu can be used to purge your system of most temp files. If you are certain your system is running fine otherwise, and you don't expect you will have to uninstall any Windows Updates, then in Disk Cleanup, there is an option to clean out old Service Pack Backup Files. If never done before, that can free up some substantial amounts of space.

And Window own defragger is basic, but still decent and already on your drive. Defragging can free up some space but does not normally free a significant amount of space, it mostly just shuffles stuff around.

I also recommend you go to Control Panel > Add and Remove programs and uninstall any programs you installed that you no longer need, or can live without. If you don't recognize something, leave it.

Look at your own personal data files. If you have a bunch of songs, photos, or video files, they take a lot of space - consider moving them to an external drive, or copy/burn to CD or DVD. .zip and .rar files, often used to compress files and programs for downloading, can all be safely deleted, and/or moved to CD.

Also, depending on how much RAM your system has and your current settings, you might be able to reduce your Page File size. However, if RAM is at a premium already, a smaller PF will have a negative impact on performance and increase wear and tear on the drive. There is no advantage to disabling the PF, regardless how much RAM you have.

Nevertheless, these are all temporary solutions. As soon as you start using the computer again, it will start eating up that space with temp files and program updates, and your own data files. You really need a bigger drive, or a second, perhaps external drive you can use for your programs and data files.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am on windows xp, how do you log on as administrator?

Hi Matt_Xx,

Click on Start > Control Panel. On the Control Panel click on User Accounts. On the User Accounts page you will see a list of all users on the computer. Beside, or under, the user's name you will see the type of account. It will either say Administrator or Limited. If your account is a limited user account you won't be able to change it to an Administrator account. Only an Administrator can change account types.

It's strange that you don't know whether or not you have administrator privileges. Unless you have Admin privileges about the only thing you can do is copy/burn your personal files and data to removable media like a cd or DVD. And maybe uninstall any programs you were allowed to install on the computer. The other things won't run without Admin privileges.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

If you still end up not satisfied with the available space, another option would be (if this your laptop, http://support.acer....re3690sp2.shtml) to upgrade the HDD to 80GB.