Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown PC Problem-Please Help me :-(

• Please log in to reply

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here are the results from the VEW.exe scan:

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 29/08/2011 1:51:47 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 29/08/2011 12:48:40 PM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 7026 Source: Service Control Manager
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Cdrom eabfiltr

'System' Log - warning Type

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager. In the right pane find DVD/CD-ROM and click on the + in front of it to open the subfolders. Your DVD or CD Rom should be there.

Is there a red or yellow mark next to it?

Right click on it and select Properties. Does it say: This device is working properly. ?? Under Drivers, Driver Details Does it say: C:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys ??

If you put a cd or dvd in your drive does it work?

Do you have the: Compaq/HP Quicklaunch keyboard utility program in your Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs ? I think it is responsible for the eabfiltr.sys file which appears to be totally missing. If this is a Compaq/HP then go to http://www8.hp.com/u...rt-drivers.html and put in your PC details and it should show you the programs you can download. See if you can find one for Compaq/HP Quicklaunch keyboard. Download it and install it.

You might also look to see if they have anything for your DVD/CD-ROM.

Ron

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
There was a yellow mark next to the CD/DVD rom. It did not say this device is working properly, it said: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Driver Details Does say: C:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, but it also says other things too.

I do not have the: Compaq/HP Quicklaunch keyboard utility program in my Add/Remove Programs, but I went to the HP website that you gave me... I can't find my laptop. I put in my model #, product # and product name from the label, but the options they give me do not match my label.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go back into the Device Manager and write down the names of the other drivers beside cdrom.sys. Right click on your drive and Uninstall.

Reboot.

Go back into Device manager. Does the DVD/CD still have a yellow mark?

What is the make and model and service tag of your PC?

Ron

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, my model is: dv 4150Uus; product # is: EC316UA#ABA and product name is: Hp pavilion dv 40000

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here are the other names:

c:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
c:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys (the others have a green check mark to the left of the name and this one does not,not sure if that is important)
c:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
c:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I uninstalled the "MATSHITA UJ-8400" driver and rebooted. There was still a yellow mark by it.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
This the keyboard driver:

http://h10025.www1.h...500245&sw_lang=

The c:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys file is probably missing. See if it is there. It came from Sonic Solutions - probably

from Sonic MyDVD Plus try the PX Engine update:

http://docs.roxio.co...ine4_18_16a.zip

You will need to save it then right click and Extract All. It will create a folder of the same name. Inside should be pxengine4_18_16a.exe. Run it and see if it fixes the pxhelp20.sys so that it gets a green check and the yellow mark goes away from the DVD/CD-ROM.

Ron

mamamontes33

mamamontes33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, i did the above, but there is still a yellow mark.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Does the file c:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys exist?

Ron

Advertisements