Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer stutters when i play videos or video games

• Please log in to reply

aqappert

aqappert

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I watch any kind of online video such as netflix or youtube my computer makes a strange stuttering buzz sound and the video playback stops for just a split second. Sometimes this happens once every 2 minutes or so but some times it happens every 8-10 seconds. The sound is not from the computer it comes out of the speakers. This also occurs when playing computer games. I think it may have something to do with my GPU. I've noticed that my computer gets VERY hot when i play a game for more than an hour. i dont have any software to check the actual temp so if someone has any ideas on how to check the temp that would be great. I do not think it has anything to do with a driver issue or a BIOS issue because it was working fine for about 10 months. (the computer is only 10 months old.) Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

My computer is an HP dv6t Select Edition.
processor is intel i5. clocked around 2.93 ghz
my graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon 5650
my operating system is Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by aqappert, 25 August 2011 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Hi aqappert :) sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Download and run speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot of the readings taken both before and after gaming or watching a video, this will allow us to check your temps and voltages.

aqappert

aqappert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok I will try to do that as soon as possible

aqappert

aqappert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i attached screen shots of the readings

Attached Thumbnails

• before.jpg
  • after.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Your laptop has an overheating issue so I suggest no more videos or gaming until it is resolved.
Some questions for you;
Can you hear the CPU fan running and if so does it sound as if it is running normally,
What is the normal room temperature where you are using the laptop,
Is the laptop used on a flat even surface so that air can circulate and be expelled freely from the exhaust vents,
Is this http://www.shopping..../computer_store your laptop,

processor is intel i5. clocked around 2.93 ghz

Is this using the Turbo boost or overclocking
Dependent on the answers to the above will determine the recommended course of action but if you havn`t attempted OCing after checking for malware I would recommend returning the laptop whilst it is still covered by a warranty.
Just a FYI there are no voltage readings as it is a laptop and so does not have the same type of PSU as a desktop.

aqappert

aqappert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Your laptop has an overheating issue so I suggest no more videos or gaming until it is resolved.
Some questions for you;

Can you hear the CPU fan running and if so does it sound as if it is running normally,
Yes i can hear the fan running and its running at its loudest and probably fastest rpms. It does not however sound weird in any way.

What is the normal room temperature where you are using the laptop,
The room temp of my house is around 75 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Its pretty hot.

Is the laptop used on a flat even surface so that air can circulate and be expelled freely from the exhaust vents,
Yes I use my laptop on a regular desk

Is this http://www.shopping..../computer_store your laptop,
and yes that is my computer

Is this using the Turbo boost or overclocking
Yes it is around 2.9 with turbo boost. but i have not done anything to my processor such as overclocking.

Dependent on the answers to the above will determine the recommended course of action but if you havn`t attempted OCing after checking for malware I would recommend returning the laptop whilst it is still covered by a warranty.

I have checked for malware using my anti-virus software and it does not detect anything.

Just a FYI there are no voltage readings as it is a laptop and so does not have the same type of PSU as a desktop.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
aqappert

I strongly recommend you take the advice from phillpower2
The HP laptop which you say is ten months old is covered by the one year warrantry
From HP site
HP Total Care provides award-winning service and support for your computer, in or out of warranty. From services that supplement or extend your warranty to expert consultation and installation, we have you covered.

During your standard limited warranty period you'll get:

• Technical assistance via on-line chat, e-mail, or phone
  • One year of parts and labor coverage, including customer-replaceable parts, return of equipment to HP, and authorized service provider options1
  • One year of 24 x 7 toll-free technical support in English or Spanish
  • One year of limited toll-free software tech support
In addition, HP Support Assistant, a preinstalled application, can help you maintain your PC and resolve problems:

• Automate routine tasks like receiving software/driver updates, tuning up your PC
  • Get help in a variety of ways (e.g., self-help, tech support)
  • Troubleshoot problems using built-in diagnostic tools
  • Quickly find product specifications
Also there is the important consideration that with an issue such as this early referral to the guarantee is usually better.
Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 03:32 PM.