Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba NB205 Laptop Stuck on Boot

• Please log in to reply

jmain80

jmain80

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba NB205. I press the power button and it is stuck on the black screen reading Toshiba Leading Innovation.

When I press esc it brings me to BIOS information reading

KAVAA BIOS version V1.20

CPU= 1 PROCESSORS DETECTED

INTEL ATOM CPU N280 1.66GHz

1015M SYSTEM RAM PASSED

512 KB CACHE

SYSTEM BIOS SHADOWED

VIDEO BIOS SHADOWED

FIXED DISCK 0: HITACHI HTS545016B9A300

MOUSE INITIALIZED

When trying to press F2 or F12 (setup or boot selection) it will not go through

When you power on the device and hold F2 or F12 it will not go through but hangs on please wait

When you try to press 0 for system recovery, it does nothing

When you press del it does nothing

It just stays on the Toshiba screen. The LED light for the hard drive blinks about 2 seconds upon start up and goes off. My general diagnosis is that the hard drive has failed, but could I be missing something.

Since the computer does not come with a DVD/ROM drive, trying to run a recovery counsle through windows is not an option, however, if I cannot access boot device selection, I would not be able to run this anyways.

Has anyone else getting this problem and if so has it been solved? As I said, I am diagnosing that the hard drive has failed...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi jmain80 :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
It is possible that the HDD has failed but as the HDD is both detected and the LED activity light flashes it may not have.
Couple of questions for you;
Do you have data on the HDD that you wish to recover/secure and what operating system is/was installed on the HDD?

jmain80

jmain80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I do not have any data I want to save, and its running on windows xp. I am not sure if I can run a windows recovery as the boot will not let me choose a boot device, as in a cd drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

When you try to press 0 for system recovery, it does nothing

Did you do this when the laptop was turned off ie powered off hold down the 0 key, keeping the 0 key down and then power up and waiting until the screen was active!

jmain80

jmain80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did that and the screen/boot is still stuck, will not get any activity, only when I press ESC and the BIOS information is shown.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
When you get to the BIOS screen do you have a cursor on the screen, if so are you able to move it if not try pressing the Fn and F9 keys at the same time just in case your touchpad has somehow become disabled, also worth checking are Fn and the F3 key (sleep mode) and Fn and F4 (hibernate) long shots but worth a try.
Not being able to navigate the BIOS is the problem as I would first suggest trying an XP repair installation by way of a USB thumb drive, other than that removing the HDD and placing it in an external USB HDD enclosure connected to another computer to see if the drive is working would be the next step.
Do you have or would you be able to borrow the same version of XP that is presently on the HDD as this will be required for a repair installation or format and fresh install, upgrading to Windows 7 could be considered if the HDD is ok.
Just in case this is a BIOS issue would you be able to remove the MBs CMOS battery to restore the MBs factory default settings.