Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems starting newly built computer

• Please log in to reply

Fruitinator

Fruitinator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay today I took my computer to the computer guy at my school. My cousin is un able to help me at this time. I told him about the list you wrote and he says he will help me with it. He knows a lot about computers.

I will tell him about the RAM and I will mark it tomorrow. I think he has some video cards, so we will be able to test if my card is faulty or not.

I dont think it is the RAM, honestly because when I tried to start it up a few days ago, I had all 4 sticks filling up the slots. The first pair taking up the 2 slots closest to the CPU and the 2nd pair in the 2 slots farthest from the CPU. I know we ( my cousin and I) took static precaution, so nothing is shorted out.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
OK.

Remember to take your manuals with you so you are able to look up any error codes that may be displayed by the Dr Debug lights.

If after doing the checks in post # 12, the computer does not start try the following first before checking other components. Ask your computer guy if he can swap the PSU for one he knows is working.

Then swap in a working video card.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi.

How are things going? Did you manage to sort out the 2 power connections for the Mobo? My concern. If it turns out you were unfortunate enough to have received a bad component, time may be running out to return the part under the DOA time limit.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I suggest you don't make any markings on your RAM (or any other component), I have heard of warranty claims being rejected for this reason.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Thank's Troy, have never considered that.

fruitinator1

fruitinator1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, This is fruitinator and I am happy to say that I got my computer running! I was unable to log into my geekstogo account (forgot password for geekstogo and my email) so I just used facebook. The problem was that my cousin is not very good at building computers! He had the wires backwards, cpu in reverse, and something like the cpu wasnt "locked in place", and he also forgot to take off the metal panel that covers the Graphics card vent (glad we caught that one). The computer guy at my school fixed all this and now it runs great. Luckily, none of my cpu pins were bent so I was relieved about that. This computer (I am running right now) Is really amazing and it does anything I want no problemo. I love everything about this computer, it is so great. Thank you Iammykyl for helping me build this computer, I would recommend anyone who wants to build a computer to talk to him. I am so happy that I have my own computer and I just want to say one final thank you. THANKS MAN!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi fruitinator.

Now that IS good news. The Gods must have been looking after you.

Thank you for givng us the update.

I just want to say one final thank you. THANKS MAN!

You are more than welcome, gives us all a buzz to have a good outcome.

If we can be of help in the future, just whistle.

Edited by iammykyl, 11 September 2011 - 07:38 AM.

fruitinator1

fruitinator1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
this is fruitinator, had problems with my account so i made another one thru facebook. Apparently my cousin had all the wires backwards and the cpu backwards, luckily nothing was broken and we fixed it. The computer runs great and I just want to say thankyou. It is lightning fast and super cool looking.

Only complaint is that it gets kinda hot after gaming and the fans run really loud. I only have 4 fans in there (not including heatsink) and 1 extra empty fan slot. My friend said he used electricians tape to put more fans in his tower and I was thinking of doing the same to cool it down some more. Any thoughts?

Edited by fruitinator1, 11 September 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Fruitinator2

Fruitinator2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello this is fruitinator, I had to create a new account since I forgot my password to my old account and could not retrieve it through email. My computer is working now and it is super great! It can run anything I want. My cousin had some wires backwards, and installed processor backwards. Luckily, no pins were bent so I was relieved to hear that. Big thanks to everyone who helped including Iammykyl. I am extremely satisfied with my computer.

Only complaint is that after some gaming (only some games) the computer starts to get really loud. This is because it gets hotter and the fans automatically run faster to cool it. I would like to install some fans to cool my video card, as that gets pretty hot and I dont want to damage it. It might just be my case. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Oh and I may have posted a few times because my other posts were not showing up for some reason... Just ignore them, this is the post.

Edited by Fruitinator2, 12 September 2011 - 03:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi.

We really need to know how hot the PC is getting. Look in your manuals for how to read temps and let us know what they are.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi fruitinator.

How is the computer behaving? Not heard from you for a while.

Bill Tang

Bill Tang

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The color coding on the RAM slots are usually done to identify memory banks. It has something to do with how the motherboard access/refresh the RAM modules... Usually by putting identical modules in same colored slots, the motherboard can access them twice as fast. The information should be in the motherboard booklet.

Your picture shown the graphic card has two PCI-E 6 pin power connectors. Have you made sure the power cables are connected to them? Newer PSUs have two such connection without using the included adapter, if the included adapters are used, try to connect them to different power cables from the PSU so not all the power are drained from the same source.

If possible, swap another graphic card to test if the problem is the graphic card itself.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

It has something to do with how the motherboard access/refresh the RAM modules... Usually by putting identical modules in same colored slots, the motherboard can access them twice as fast. The information should be in the motherboard booklet.

They are color coded to make it easy for the user to pair modules for motherboards that support "dual-channel" memory architecture (triples on triple-channel boards).

It is important to note there is no requirement for motherboard makers to color code their slots, and there is no standard color either. So the best advice is as noted, read the motherboard manual.