Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Recovering Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Lapatskiy

Lapatskiy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys and hopefully someone can help me, and i think mine is very tough, i have my WD Pasport 500GB all of a sudden when i unplugged and plugged it back in, i got an error MSG saying format, anyways what i did i tried all kinds of recovery programs, and none of them found even one thing no partition found 0 files like an empty hard drive, i used find and mount, Active undelete, no luck, here is the interesting thin my hard drive has no clicking noises, when i plug it in directly trough Sata connection my computer trying to load and just gets stuck even though its not the boot hard drive, it will logon only when i unplug the the Sata connection, so i gave up on it, what i did, i tried to format it and then give another try to recover, when i click format it basically gave me some kind of error can't format, i also tried to format with different utilities no luck, worst part i have all wedding pics on there, good thing i saved my video on 2 other hard drives. So here it is, hard drive spins and works ok seems like main sectors where the info about this hard drive is corrupted, if someone has any idea what to do please help me thanks.
Hard drive WD500BEVT this is my second replacement already hate these ones.
Thanks in advance guys.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS ISO (CD)
Burn to a cd disconnect any drives in your computer and install the problem drive (if it is in a case remove from case )
Check to see if its detected in the BIOS
Boot from cd and run the diagnostic’s cd for the drive

The reason to remove other drivers is if you format the drive you need to make sure you get the right one if it’s the only one you can’t go wrong

http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive. If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test your drive with this tool. This diagnostic utility is designed for hard drives larger than 8.4 GB with the model number starting with WDxxx.

Diagnostics Bootable CD:
1.Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file to your desktop.
2.Extract the Diag504fCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the iso version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
3.You will see a new file named Diag504fCD.iso on your desktop.
4.You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
5.You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.
6.You will see the following options:◦SELECT DRIVE - Always choose this option first, as it determines which drive you will be working on.
◦QUICK TEST - This option tests your drive quickly for any major physical problems. (Please note: though this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
◦EXTENDED TEST - This option checks your drive thoroughly and it can repair any correctable errors. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, some data loss may occur, depending on the errors found and the errors corrected. Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
◦WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes any and all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.
◦VIEW TEST RESULTS - You can see the results of the test you just performed
◦PRINT TEST RESULTS - Test results can be printed with this option. USB printers are not supported
◦LOG FILE OPEN/CLOSE - You can access the log file which is generated automatically
◦ENTER AND PRINT RMA INFORMATION - Information pertaining to each drive tested can be customized and printed with this option.
◦HELP - Brief descriptions of each option in addition to explanations of error codes are available in this option.
◦QUIT - Reboot your system once you have completed the selected tasks

7.Select the task you wish to perform

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
this might be of use for you..

not saying your a dummy but that's how the post is called :) :unsure:

Edited by dennisK16, 26 August 2011 - 05:37 PM.