Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing

• Please log in to reply

PC Genie

PC Genie

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Periodically my computer crashes. Usually this happens when I watch streaming video for a while. I've done several virus cleanings and I re-installed Windows as an extra measure for the trouble shooting. I can only guess that the problem might be something overheating, like my power supply or my CPU. I built my computer several years ago and it has had quite a lot of use, so I do think it might be a problem with the power supply. Before I go and buy another power unit and do all the re-wiring, I would like to get someone elses advice on what the problem might be. Please let me know if I'm on the right track to solve this. What could be causing these crashes?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Per your advice I've installed the diagnostic programs and generated the reports. See attachments. The Crash Dump Analysis is in the pdf file.

Attached Thumbnails

• FanSpeedReport.png
  • MotherboardReport.png
  • SensorReport.png

Attached Files

Edited by PC Genie, 26 August 2011 - 10:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off your CPU seems to be running a little hot.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Any warranty still in effect for the system?
Second are you using AVG as your AV?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have a desktop computer that has no warrenty, because I bought each component seperately and assembled them myself. As for my antivirus program, I have been using the free version of AVG for years with good results. My computer has a MSI X58 Platinum motherboard with an Intel i7-920 processor that has an LGA 1366 socket.

MSI X58 Platinum - user's manual
http://us.msi.com/pr...ml#/?div=Manual

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor - design specifications
http://www.intel.com...cumentation.htm
http://ark.intel.com/products/37147

What would make my CPU run a little hot and is that the problem? Sounds like the problem might not be the power supply.

Edited by PC Genie, 26 August 2011 - 02:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Heat is caused by several different factors.

One dust in the system
Airflow is impeded
Air temperature in the room
Fans not rotating fast enough due to clogging dust or other foreign matter
Fans not turning at all due to clogging dust or other foreign matter
Not enough power to run the components

My first suggestion would be to open the system and check for dust in the cpu fan. If it is dusty do not let the fan turn freely while using a can of compressed air to blow it out.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
If it's heat, its possible that it may be the ambient temperature of 109 F. My computer is in the back room of my house where there is no air conditioning. However, I will do a detailed check on dust and the computer fans. Was there anything else that you found in the diagnostic reports?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your voltages look good so not a issue there.
Do you have a fan that you could use to blow cool air into the system? Maybe take the side off and allow the fan to blow air directly into the system.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Do the diagnosis reports say whether or not the heat doing damage to any specific component of my system? What causes my system to shut down? Why does this happen when I view streaming video on the internet?

Edited by PC Genie, 27 August 2011 - 05:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Do the diagnosis reports say whether or not the heat doing damage to any specific component of my system?

No it won't tell us that. What it does say is the temps are high and that is what I am concentrating on at the moment.

Why does this happen when I view streaming video on the internet?

This part we haven't gotten to yet but I'm willing to be this is a driver issue.
Have you been able to put a fan near your system as i asked prior? If so can you get a new Speedfan screenshot?
Also please do the following:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Advertisements

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Per your advice, I have checked my computer fans and used the compressed gas dust cleaner to blow the dust away from the fans. The fans appear to be running normally. For the SpeedFan report, I have a large room fan blowing directly into the open side of the computer this evening with an ambient temperature of 82 F. Attached is this evenings SpeedFan report. I've had this computer for several years and it has always worked in either hot or cool days.

Also I have registered on the PC Pitstop website and ran the test twice, because it keeps giving me an error. I may have to run the test again when their webmaster corrects the website error.

Unable to Load Results
We were unable to load the test results that you requested. Most often, this indicates that the results were not saved correctly in the database. Please try to test your system again.

We've logged this problem and will look into the cause. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The link to the error page is: http://www.pcpitstop...&conid=24530203 However, PC Pitstop did provide a snapshot report. http://www.pcpitstop...apit/browse.asp Do they usually provide a detailed report?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Addendum
Following the above report, I watched two full streaming movies without a computer crash. The large room fan I mentioned has been blowing continuously about 2 Ft. from the open computer chassy. Whatever is overheating my computer is still in question, since I have not overclocked the processor intentionally.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanReport08-27-11.png
  • PC Pitstop Brief Report.png

Edited by PC Genie, 28 August 2011 - 12:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I did the checkdisk and there's no improvement.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also I have registered on the PC Pitstop website and ran the test twice, because it keeps giving me an error. I may have to run the test again when their webmaster corrects the website error.

You are using IE for this correct?

Your issue does seem heat related from your speedfan picture and to be more exact your CPU temps are high.
Since putting the fan blowing into the system you have not experienced any crashes correct?

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yes, I'm using IE9. Yes, when I place the large fan facing the open side of my computer case the computer doesn't crash. I was hoping for a better solution that return my computer back to normal.

Does the CPU have a heat safety that terminates all processes when reaching a specific temperature? Where can I find the temperatures for normal operations? The SpeedFan report doesn't identify where the temperatures are coming from?