Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Post Clean OS Install Audio Distortion

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is of some concern that the Memtest shuts down the computer.

Try this one please.
http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

as the Acer does not have a floppy drive make the CD
This is an ISO as well so you can use the same program as I sent for Memtest.

Additionally please go device manager disk drives and post me what is shown please, we will proceed to a further disk check, albeit that chkdsk /r did not disclose anything.

Advertisements

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That one made it through 3.5 passes before shutting down the computer...but no errors were reported and the instructions say that 1 pass would be sufficient. Again I was not watching when it happened so I don't know just how it shuts down.

The only thing showing in Disk Drives is Toshiba MK1655GSX. This is of course, after removing my USB CD-ROM device.

And finally, in another by the way, the audio distortion on my softphone has returned with a vengence...I don't know when but it was working perfectly yesterday and now it's not.

Laurie

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate that this will sound ridiculous - how is it if you use the left speaker ONLY.
There is apparently an issue with right speaker on that computer., being too close to the HDD and suffering 4khz interference from the HDD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 September 2011 - 08:05 PM.

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Believe me! Nothing sounds as ridiculous as this stubborn problem...but are you saying that I am using the left speaker only or that I should try using the left speaker only?

If the former, I have no idea although I did notice after the clean install when this problem began that even when turning the volume up to the max, that I needed a headset to hear without putting my ear right up to the computer. But since the bigger problem was with the audio distortion, I considered that to be secondary.

If the latter, how would I do that? And if the right speaker is at the core of the problem, will I need to have it replaced? If so, I'm going to the US tomorrow where I can...with some reluctance since I depend on the machine...take it into a shop. But that wouldn't solve the PIO problem would it?

Laurie

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just found the following at http://winhlp.com/node/10

Windows contains a trap in which quite a few computers seem to get caught sooner or later. The trap was described in a Web article whose link no longer works. But the crucial paragraphs are:

PIO mode is enabled by default in the following situations: For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device. Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

End of quote

So what do you think. Are "repeated DMA errors" the cause of my problem? If so and the solution is to reinstall the device, does that mean a clean reinstall of the operating system?

Laurie

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Further on in the article mentioned in previous post, it says:

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor:

Run REGEDIT. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel. Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

End of quote

Well...I discovered that only 0000 and 0001 were present in the named key and both of them were for a CD-ROM that I do not have on this machine (I use an external usb device which was not plugged in). Furthermore, neither lists MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum...the values to be deleted. I've attached screenshots.

Does this mean anything to you? I have backed up the registry using ERUNT. Should I try a restore?

Laurie

Attached Thumbnails

• Reg-DMA.jpg
  • Reg-0001.jpg
  • Reg-0000.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In relation ONLY to your last post please see my post 19 and 21. That is to what I was referring in 21 particularly.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the device refers to the primary IDE channel.
We have already done it, twice I think and tried the reigstry edit on the file that Ztruker sent you.

What was the reason for the original reinstall of the O/S please and was it a format and reinstall or a repair install.
I appreciate that on your first post you say clean reinstall but please explain exactly what you did.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2011 - 07:30 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

If the latter, how would I do that? And if the right speaker is at the core of the problem, will I need to have it replaced?

Having now read about the sound having no volume, which I do not remember seeing before, if it was there I apologise, I do not think this is the issue, however in Control Panel Sounds and Audio devices, open that and on the volume tab, below the slider for the volume you wil see an adavnced button, click that and on the window that opens above the left hand volume setting you will see a balance control, move that all the way to the left.

Whilst there you could well check that the volume is at the right level, that the device is not muted and that on the audio tab, the device is the Realtek and that use only default devices is checked.

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I must have missed the Registry Edit from Ztruker. As I recall, he suggested that I run a vbs script which I did with no luck. I have not yet done anything in the Registry.

Re: the "clean" install that started this problem. I did a complete reformat and reinstall after the Blue Screen appeared and was unable to do a recovery.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The script that Ztruker sent you - is the regedit.
It simply runs to do automatically the same as you have found manually.

Please try that in my post 53.

and then go start, run and type sfc /scannow, that is system file checker, it may well require the XP CD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2011 - 08:11 AM.

Advertisements

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Re: regedit -- Got it! But even so, is what is being reported in regedit correct?

Having problems running the scf /scannow. I plugged in the usb CD-Rom and inserted my XP-SP3 install disk but am told that it is either the wrong disk (I only have one) or the device is not working. And then I noticed that th "Start" has been replaced with "GO." When I click on it I'm given a menu listing Programs, System, Command Prompt, Run..., About and Exit. So I exited and it returned to normal...but I'm a bit worried about it's appearance as well as the "wrong disk" message. Any ideas?

Laurie

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I presume it is just a typo in your reply.
The cmd is sfc /scannow NOT scf

As it has returned to normal, type that command in the run box and proceed without the CD connected.
See if it will run and does it then ask for the CD.

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yep...it was a typo. But I'm getting the message shown in the attached image. Then when I plug in the drive, I get the error message in the second image. This comes up whether or not I have put the Win XP Pro SP3 install disk in the drive. As you can see, it won't allow me to browse.

Laurie

Attached Thumbnails

• SFC-scannow.jpg
  • SCF-error.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is the CD a MICROSOFT XP with SP3 CD or the original Acer recovery CD.
I appreciate that you say the WIN XP Pro SP3 but please confirm.#

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It is the Windows XP Pro SP-3 disk...not the Acer Recovery that I used to install the OS after reformatting. Should I use the Recovery disk?