Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post Clean OS Install Audio Distortion

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Toshiba MK1655GSX.

That is a Toshiba SATA hard drive 160Gb

Specifications
Model MK1255GSX / MK1655GSX / MK2555GSX / MK3255GSX / MK4055GSX / MK5055GSX Formatted capacity 120GB / 160GB / 250GB / 320GB / 400GB / 500GB Number of platters 1 / 1 / 1 / 2 / 2 / 2 Number of heads 1 / 2 / 2 / 4 / 4 / 4 Sector Size 512Bytes Average Latency Time 5.55msec Interface SATA (SATA Specification Rev. 2.6) Interface transfer rate to Host 3.0GB/sec Buffer 8MB Rotational speed 5,400rpm Average seek time 12msec Power Supply +5V(+/-5%) Spin-up (Max.) 4.5W Read/Write (Typ.) 1.4W Stand-by (Typ.) 0.18W Sleep (Typ.) 0.13W External dimensions (WxDxH; mm) 69.85 x 100 x 9.5 Weight (max.) 98g Temperature - Operating 5 to 55˚ C Acoustics - Idle 19 dBA / 19 dBA / 19 dBA / 25 dBA / 25 dBA / 25 dBA Acoustics - Seek 20 dBA / 20 dBA / 20 dBA / 25 dBA / 25 dBA / 25 dBA
Therefore, it is NOW clear from your post of the regsitry key and my check with the Toshiba site that the DMA/PIO is nothing to do with this drive.
The web is peppered with reports of the Acer Aspire One including the D250 having the problems you mention with the audio and even the Acer Support forum
deals with such matters.
The DMA/PIO setting is COMPLETELY unconnected with this hard drive.

The problem it therefore appears is either, the install of the drivers or, more seriously something connected with the original BSOD and the reason for the reinstall.
To complicate the issue further TOSHIBA are one of the few manufacturers that do not provide a checking utility for their hard drives. Therefore we are restricted to the Windows chkdsk and generic utilities.
In connection with that please WHEN we have made some progress with the SFC, there is a way to negate the need for the CD, please download and run this
to further check the hard drive
http://www.geekstogo...ile/10-hd-tune/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 September 2011 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In relation to your post 60.
The only answer to the message that it is the wrong disc, is that either the disc is not being seen at all, OR it is fingermarked, scratched etc.
Did you receive ANY error messages when reinstalling windows.
That if you did could account for the sound issue and the present message on the sfc.
You MAY have received a message when installing XP that a certain file could not be found and offered the opportunity to ignore and proceed.
If you did, this may indicate the CD is faulty, by way of a tiny scratch etc.

You would of course know if the CD is being seen as you could boot from the CD and not of course to run it, but you can explore the files on the CD.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It appears, at this time, that you may be facing a repair install of the O/S.
However before you even think of that I would recommend that yo go to the Acer site and after selecting your model ie: netbook, Aspire One, AOD250 you then click on the link
http://global-downlo...orDetection.exe
to have the Acer utility examine the system and recommend any drivers.
I do not hold out a great deal of hope but it is at this stage worth a try.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off now and will not be back online tonight.

If you decide to proceed, this is how to carry out a repair install of Windows.
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

It should leave all your personal data and programs intact.
There are a number of steps to this and you need to follow carefully the advice in the link.

If the problem, is connected with the original install, there is a chance this will solve the issue.

If you wish to try that system file checker first and still cannot get that command to accept the CD, then this is the work-a-round for that.
If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Good luck, thanks for being so great to work with.
I am sorry that I have not managed to solve your problem.
Please do let us know how you go on.

If of course after you return from your trip, the matter is still not solved then you only have to post.

An other possible approach.
Although I have stressed throughout that you should use only the Acer site, you could try the audio driver from the Realtek site
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/
Please ensure that you select the XP download and I would try the High Definition one first.

Once again good luck.

LAFitz

LAFitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well Mac...if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like my problems are built into this computer. Maybe I should just limp along with it absent audio/video until I can find...and afford a replacement. I was afraid of that after seeing how common these issues are in my search before I found you. Cripes!

Anyway, I ran HD-Tune and was somewhat relieved to see that it showed no errors.

Again, I thank you sooooo much for your gracious help. You are my hero!

Laurie