Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Blue Screen on New Build

• Please log in to reply

MikeS71

MikeS71

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have a new build (4-5 days ago) which was working fine until today. When trying to start-up today I get blue screen error "process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated"

The Stop error is 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800E763AE0, 0xFFFFFA800E763DC0, 0xFFFFF800033868B0)

I have done a little poking around, checked that everything is seated, changed out SATA cable for harddrive, and checked BIOS that Harddrive is set as Master... no luck!

I am unable to boot at all, not even in safe mode! help please!!!

System is as follows:
MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
CPU: i5 2500K
RAM: 16GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX580

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Just as an update- I tried removing the RAM sticks (4 4G sticks) and booting with just 1 installed (actually tried all 4) and still no go...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I have a new build (4-5 days ago) which was working fine until today. When trying to start-up today I get blue screen error

In view of this, have you installed any new hardware or drivers immediately before the last shutdown and the BSOD.

Frequently the STOP code 0x000000F4 indicates a hardware failure, or a system disc, configured as slave disc when it should be the master.

Also

1.Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.
2. If you recently added hardware to the computer, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component.
3. Faulty or mismatched memory can cause this bug check.
4. Overclocking (setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification) can cause this error. If you have overclocked the computer that is experiencing the error, return the CPU to the default clock speed setting.
5. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error.

I would suggest you start with any added hardware.
Then is there the slightest chance that you have stressed the motherboard, as it is quite possible, if so, that as against a faulty placing of the board resulting a short, which would be immediately apparent that the crack or fracture of the printed circuit or a surafce mount micro component has manifested itself.

Have you overclocked the system. Ram voltages, etc.
Can you get a boot to BIOS still

If no go on all of these I would tend to strip down and start again with a barebones installation and go from there.
See if it will boot to BIOS without the HDD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 04:35 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
In view of this, have you installed any new hardware or drivers immediately before the last shutdown and the BSOD.

No new hardware- the entire thing was assembled and working fine for 4 days till this morning- no new components added.

Frequently the STOP code 0x000000F4 indicates a hardware failure, or a system disc, configured as slave disc when it should be the master.

Checked in Bios and the HDD is listed on IDE Channell 0 as the Master, BDD is on IDE1 Slave

Also

1.Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.
2. If you recently added hardware to the computer, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component.
3. Faulty or mismatched memory can cause this bug check.
4. Overclocking (setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification) can cause this error. If you have overclocked the computer that is experiencing the error, return the CPU to the default clock speed setting.
5. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error.

I have 4 identical memory sticks, have not overclocked, and there is n o visible defects in the MB

I would suggest you start with any added hardware.
Then is there the slightest chance that you have stressed the motherboard, as it is quite possible, if so, that as against a faulty placing of the board resulting a short, which would be immediately apparent that the crack or fracture of the printed circuit or a surafce mount micro component has manifested itself.

I guess I can;t say with 100% that the MB wasnt stressed, but like I said- it was built and working for 4 days closed up, I would think a physical issue with the MB would have been apparant right away.

Have you overclocked the system. Ram voltages, etc.
Can you get a boot to BIOS still
No overclocking done, and yes- I am able to boot into BIOS and everything in there looks normal

If no go on all of these I would tend to strip down and start again with a barebones installation and go from there.
See if it will boot to BIOS without the HDD

Whats killing me is that as I said, it was working fine, I didnt update any drivers, didnt add any hardware, nothing... just shut it down last night and started it uo this morning to the BSOD. How likely is it that I just got a bum HDD and it took 4 days to crap out?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is the make and model of the HDD please

Also, this may be a good starting point

Having looked quickly at the spec of the M/B
Is the HDD connected to the Intel chip sata port

Chipset:
  • 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0~SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
  • 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  • Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
    * When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.
  • OR the Marvell chip ports
Marvell 88SE9172 chip:
  • 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
  • Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1
It appears at this early stage I think that the cause may well be an update to a driver, that is causing the problem.
In case it is the grpahics, I see the M/B has integrated grpahics, try with those.
I realise you have said that you did not update, but do you have auto-updating turned on.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 05:40 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here is the HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I believe I turned the auto-update off but I may be wrong on that one...

And the HDD is plugged into the SATA3_0 port.

The MB does not have onboard graphics- only audio... the MB is: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

And by strip down and bare bones you mean just reinstall Windows right? Or do you mean strip the whole machine down and rebuild?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off now as it is 0059 here in UK.
No I do not mean reinstall Windows.
I would disconnect everything you can, so you are left with just the HDD, monitor, keyboard and mouse.
I would then try a boot with one stick of ram BUT I would try all four one at a time.
I would also if you are happy to do this, reset BIOS to defaults.
EasyTune, which comes as part of the motherboard software package I believe, has been reported as causing problems.
I would also try, although I am not overly optimistic a startup repair using the Win7 disc.
Here's How:

1. Boot to the System Recovery Options screen using your retail Windows 7 installation disk or system repair disc.

2. Select the Startup Repair option. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image

3. Startup Repair will now scan your computer to attempt to find and fix any startup problems. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs. If repairs are not successful, you'll see a summary of the problem and links to contact information for support. Your computer manufacturer might include additional assistance information.

Posted Image

4. If problems cannot be found, then click on Next. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: You can click on the View diagnostic and repair details link to see a detailed summary of what Startup Repair has done.

Posted Image

A) Click on the Restart button to return to the Windows 7 logon screen. (See screenshot below step 2)

Posted Image Tip Sometimes it may take running a startup repair a few (3) times before it fully fixes the startup issue.

A good way of testing the hardware would be a boot to Puppy on a CD.
We can examine that when I return.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 August 2011 - 06:07 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
First, let me say how TRULY thankful I am for the help!! Here is where I'm at now... I finally just said screw it and did a complete reinstall of Windows. I did some reading which pointed out what you had mentioned about the auto-update... that it can sometimes install incompatable drivers. I dont know if thats what happened or not but I am typing this on my desktop rather than my laptop... in other words, it is working as of now. We will see what happens in the AM, I will repost and let you know!

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Well, it sat overnight and booted up fine this morning... looks like it was a software issue. I have adjusted the Windows update settings to only install what I choose so hopefully that resolves the issue. Thanks again for the help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I am so pleased for you.
I do think it would have been worth trying the startup repair and if that had failed there were other things we could have tried, but the main issue is that you are back working.

That HDD being WD can use the Acronis version from WD.
I would most strongly recommend a complete image backup on an external drive just in case.
Here in case you wish it is the link to Acronis and the other WD disk analysis utilities
http://support.wdc.c...il.asp?swid=119

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 August 2011 - 01:18 PM.