Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP OEM question

• Please log in to reply

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Hi all,

Info:
  • Currently a Win XP OEM is installed, running well, but (using nLite) is only installed for what I needed before GeekU (no help files, etc)
  • Different partitions for old games / applications.
  • GeekU research is done through a VM, on a different physical drive (not partition). Also, works great.
  • 2 physical back-up drives, all internal, not counting external back-up possibilities.

Question:
I am considering a total re-installation, and I want to split everything up. So, is it possible to install Windows XP Pro (oem) twice, on 2 different phisical drives inside the same system legally? My plan was,
  • Start with a freshly swiped - checked - formatted drive
    • Install a "lean" (again, nLite) version of XP SP3
    • Validate it & update this to newest KB and add all security layers, maintenance utilities, etc.
    • install all my old (stuff that never will need update's anymore anyways)
  • Then re-install the same, complete Win Xp OEM licence key to another drive for daily use. Validate this one, etc.
Note, I do not mind physically disconnecting drives to make this run properly, if this cannot be done with regular boot-options or Bios boot priority settings.
Note 2, The first, "lean" installation will never be used for browsing, MS-update wise. I do not mind re-validating for every OS-swap I make either, a small "con" versus the many advantages.

Essentially, can I install the same OEM-key twice on the same system, legally?

Thank you in advance for your reply! :)

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 26 August 2011 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think you can but I am not sure. The reason I think you can is that during the installation hardware components are being registered by XP. If you change hardware - say, a motherboard - XP OEM will notice the change and will forbid installation. If you install it twice on the same hardware then XP will register the same hardware twice. this is similar to reformatting the computer two times. This is perfectly legal.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 807890, How to activate Windows XP, the installation applies to the "computer" not the drive. It states,

You can then use the product key to install Windows on that computer an unlimited number of times.

This is to prevent users from installing on a removable drive, then using that drive on different computers - that would be illegal.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I think you can but I am not sure. The reason I think you can is that during the installation hardware components are being registered by XP. If you change hardware - say, a motherboard - XP OEM will notice the change and will forbid installation. If you install it twice on the same hardware then XP will register the same hardware twice. this is similar to reformatting the computer two times. This is perfectly legal.

Right, I understood that already but I thank you for clarifying this further.

As per Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 807890, How to activate Windows XP, the installation applies to the "computer" not the drive. It states,

You can then use the product key to install Windows on that computer an unlimited number of times.

This is to prevent users from installing on a removable drive, then using that drive on different computers - that would be illegal.

That is great news Digerati, thanks. I read the EULA (well searched it, not read it entirely) but could not find a definitive answer.
It was bugging me for days now, but now you answered I feel reasurred enough to do it.

Thank you :) :unsure:

Ad