Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh Computer build wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
well the pins im sure im shorting out are the power pins (on/off) for the switches to the case. im sure of this. but even with using the switches it still has the same reactions. with it being stripped down to the bare minimum, all it's doing is spinning the CPU fan a few times and quitting once again. i have the PSU plugged in properly to the CPU and MB and this issue has yet to resolve. is it possible that i may have shot my MB/CPU?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

s it possible that i may have shot my MB/CPU?

I regret to say - YES
What is now connected to the Motherboard, is the ram in place

Also of you go back to your post 18

First of all I'd want to apologize for being a complete computer nub >.<

I was confusing the PCI-E cords which were 6+2 with the 4+4 ATX2 power cord. Right when i noticed what i did the cup fans powered up and the 2 LED's at the bottom stayed lit (normal) but i've yet to get the BIOS to come up on my screen via VGA cord or HDMI. So far so good, if i can get the BIOS to come up I'll be in business.

The monitor only says "No VGA/HDMI input" depending on what mode i have selected. Any ideas?

*edit* was trying to get a visual from MB and not GFX card, switched em and now i got the BIOS up and running. Thanx ya guys for helping me out with everything. And if someone can lock this thread that'd be great ^.^

and the one on post 26.
Then most clearly something has happened since.

Have you been changing BIOS settings?
If not then I am regretfully of the conclusion that either you have handled components without taking anti-static precautions and the static charge in your body has taken out a vital circuit.
THIS IS A VERY STRONG possibility, if you have not been aware of anti-static precautions.
There is really no way that building a system of that quality should have een attempted with a static discharge
strap.

That graphics card in addition to the motherboard slot requires a
Dual MOLEX to 6-pin PCIe power adapter
Is that connected

I really appreciate that you must by now be feeling rather despondent.
I can only assure you that you will not be the first person to damage components when building a system and certainly not the last.

Finally I recommend, for your own good, that you seek more direct help than can be given here.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yes the RAM GFX and CPU+fan are the only parts on the MB, it's lying next to me on a piece of cardboard as advised to do so.

*edit* i tried changing the bios once before (to accomadate my 2TB HDD) but due to its ineffectiveness i reverted back to its default settings, but other than that everything was as it came. is there any way of knowing which, if any circuits have be affected by any kind of static discharge? and if this has happened would a replacement MB fix it entirely? also about the GFX would i just need to buy an adapter?

*edit 2* i would rather replace my $100 MB over my $300 CPU

Edited by cgarretson, 14 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can I ask did you take note of post #28 and #29 regarding your MBs onboard facilities and diagnostic LEDs, if so what happens when you use the power or reset buttons and what do the MBs diagnostic LEDs show, other than to suggest that you try a known good PSU and removing and reseating the CPU to check for signs of damaged pins and to ensure that the correct amount of TIM was applied to avoid possible confusion I think that it is wise for only Macboatmaster to offer assistance at this time, I will look in but not contribute unless asked to do so.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
currently there are no LED lights coming on the MB or anywhere for that matter. as stated awhile back i have no other PSU to connect as this is my first desktop computer. ill try reseating the CPU but after i hit up best buy for an anti-static wristband. if one of the pins are damaged what will they look like and how will i know?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the Zotec graphics.
You do not need to buy an adaptor the card came with an adaptor, two four pin molex to PCIe , however are you sure your power supply does not have the required lead.

Why does the PCIe power adapter have two plugs at the end that plugs into the power supply?
Most newer power supplies come with a dedicated 6 pin PCIe power connecter. If your power supply does not have one you must use the PCIe power adapter (shown below) and connect both 4 pin Molex power connections to your power supply. This will ensure a reliable flow of power to your graphics card and maintain system stability.

Posted Image

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
yeah i remember those cords, i just thought they were extraneous, but i saved them anyways just in case. but this wouldnt cause my computer to not turn on at all would it? i mean when i didnt have the other 2 pins plugged in it looked a bit wavey in the screen but it still functioned.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have checked your power supply, it has the lead you need to connect to the Zotac, you do not need that adaptor lead.
Are you saying you did not connect the PSU to the card

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
oh whoops i just didnt notice those other 2 pin slots... my bad >.< like i said im not a pro-computer person lol. the PSU has a 6 pin and it branches off with another 2 pin, so it has a small cord coming off of it

Edited by cgarretson, 14 September 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off now.
I am still not certain you have the gist of this.
The PSU has a 24 pin connector to the motherboard and an 8 pin connector to the motherboard for the CPU.

We are not talking about either of those.
I do not have time to check your PSU again, but I think the 24 pin will also separate into a 20 and a four, HOWEVER your motherboard uses the 24 pin.

We are talking here about the connector to the Zotac card which will look like the black end of the adaptor lead supplied with the card. YOUR PSU has one of those leads.

Two other matters to consider.
For that system to boot you must have ram installed in
Memory module must be installed in DDR3-A2 or DDR3-B2 to boot the system.
That is NOT the first ram slot when looking to the right of the processor.
SEE YOUR motherboard manual. A2 and B2 are the second and fourth slots when looking at the motherboard so that the ram slots are top right.

Secondly if the CPU has overheated the system will not boot until you do one of two things.
The easist is to clear the CMOS, using the jumper.
Again see your motherboard manual.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 September 2011 - 05:10 PM.

Advertisements

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok ill consider both of those options and begin working on it after i finish up my chemistry homework. i'll post pictures and a video(if possible) of what is happening and what im looking at currently to help everyone better understand.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
cgarretson

It is now some 6 days since your last post on this matter.
In view of the fact that quite an amount of time was spent helping you, we would be greatly obliged if when you get chance you would kindly update the htread with how matters are progressing.
Thank you and we hope that you have been able to make some progress.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'm sorry, i haven't been able to do any of the following. I've been quite busy being a full time student and advanced classes are requiring extra attention. all that i've been able to do is get an anti-static wristband, but im not sure what to do from here besides reseating the cpu. ill keep you guys posted on the repairs that i do when i get around to them.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you just post when you get chance.
Your studies are as I know, albeit from years ago, the important aspect of your life.
The computer can wait.
I was just concerned that you were having serious problems.
The advantage of a discharge strap, is that you can work with it attached to a good earth.
If you rely on the touching the case method, it is so easy to forget, having moved around on a good static generating surface, and then pick up another component, with a good static charge in your body and the static will find the most simple path to earth.
The safe precuation even with a wristband is to work on a non static generating.
A carpet is one of the worst.

Good luck with the stuidies.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 September 2011 - 05:37 PM.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
sadly my entire apartment is carpet