Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card

• Please log in to reply

drlfan

drlfan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a HP Pavillion p6320f I was told by the cyber defender people that my video card was overheating and shutting down. The system has Nvidia Geforce 9100 built in. I was told a geforce 9600 will work in my system. I hoped that I would be able to just unplug the 9100 and install the 9600 but I find the 9100 in built in to the system and I dont know how to disable it.I am sure by now you can tell I am in over my head but I am just a old man trying to save a buck. Is there a easy way to do this or should I just take it to a pro. THANKS, tom

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi drlfan :) Below is some guidance on how to safely clean out the inside of the case to help prevent the system overheating, it will also enable you to fit a new video card safely but first of all I suggest that you install the drivers for the new card, if you have already purchased the card could you either provide a link to the product or provide the brand name and card details as I would like to make sure that the stock 300W PSU (power supply unit) is adequate enough to run the system and new card safely.

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
For future reference when you install an add on video card unless the facility has been disabled in the BIOS the add on video card automatically disables the motherboards integrated video chip.
Link to your PC to assist you http://bizsupport1.a...rodTypeId=12454 and a picture of the MB identifying where the new video card goes, a word of caution if you use canned compressed air for the cleaning do not turn the can upside down as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

NB: I am always happy to help but I am even more happy if I can save people money :unsure: :yes:

drlfan

drlfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the response, i got busy with other things and was not able to get back to you sooner. The card I got is GeForce 9600GSO. It is Zotac N9600GSO-TC1GD3 B-Hawk MA. I am not sure if you can tell from that if it will work. The front of the box says TC1GB DDR3 Memory, Open GL 2.1 PCI express 2.0, HDCP, DVI Audio, Windows 7 supported, Low noise cooling I hope you can tell from that if it will work Thanks again, Tom

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are welcome :) Can I ask where the new card was purchased from as research on Google only lists the Hawk version of your card as being available from China only.
The version that is widely available in the US lists the power supply requirements as 425W which means the 300W PSU in your computer will not power it, see below where it lists the power requirements for the card;

Product Requirements:
512 MB of system memory
CD or DVD-ROM drive
100 MB of available HDD space for basic driver installation
Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, or 7
PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0
Available PCI Express x16 slot
425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply

Full specs @ http://www.geeks.com...3P-FDL&cpc=RESX can you confirm if this is your new card.

drlfan

drlfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. Thanks again for the quick response. I got the card from amazon and the box says it needs 400W or better hopefully I can return it and try to find the correct card. Thanks, Tom

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Here is a card from Amazon that will work with your present PSU http://www.amazon.co...14548069&sr=1-1 if you read the fourth review @ http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121397 you will see that the person has the card in a small form factor case with a 220W PSU and they are happy with the cards performance.
Good luck and let us know how you get on or if we can assist you with anything.