Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Maximus iii gene and PCI-e Slots

• Please log in to reply

Artimecion

Artimecion

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi all,

I'm currently running an Nvidia GTX 460 and a Xonar D2X on an Asus maximus gene iii motherboard - http://www.hardwares...otherboard/1024

However, to fit the components in, I've had to put the graphics card in the second PCI x16 slot so that the xonar has space to sit in the x1 slot - this has resulted in the graphics running at x8 speed, despite there being nothing in the first x16 slot. This all works fine, but I was wondering what would happen if I attempted to put the GFX back into the first slot and the Xonar into the second x16 slot? Would the graphics card go back to running at x16, or would this completely not work at all? (I'm not quite clear if you can use a 'shorter' x1 card in a 'longer' PCI-E slot...!)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
Hi Artimecion
Yes you can fit the X1 card into the X16 slot, as for the performance drop you will have to try it and see, the X1 card is still occupying the second X16 slot so in all probability the first slot will drop to X8.
From the MB user manual;

Keep in mind that the absence of PCI Express x1 slots is not a problem, because PCI Express x1 expansion cards can be installed on any type of PCI Express slot (i.e., x16, x8, x4 and x1).

Let us know how the performance works out as I would also like to know the answer for future reference.

Artimecion

Artimecion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Cool, thanks. I'll probably try it next week and will let you know. I've got a big piece of work due for Sept 1st so I'd rather not mess about with anything until I know it's complete!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
Thanks for the update and best of luck with the work.