Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card trouble

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I believe i am having some issues with my graphics card Radeon HD 5870. I just got my computer back yesterday, it hasn't been used in around 4 months. First the card would not recognize my monitor so i moved the slot it was in and it started to work later my screen just went white and then recovered. Checked the event viewer and this is what it said "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Later my screen went white permanently, and i had to shut down my computer and reboot it and it went away. I just wanted to know if this is my graphics card dying, or something else.

Edited by Prominia, 27 August 2011 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Prominia
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and PSU details would also help others to help you better.

First the card would not recognize my monitor so i moved the slot it was in and it started to work

This suggests that the computer is a desktop but the Radeon HD 5400 is used in laptops only is it possibly the HD5450.
Have you checked the device in device manager for any yellow ! or red Xs as the drivers may need updating, they are available @ http://support.amd.c..._win7-32.aspx#1

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yea forgot to add the information it is a custom build and I just updated the Radeon Driver yesterday because it said it could not find the driver.
Here is the complete build.

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
Intel Core i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
Radeon HD 5870
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the system information, a good quality build with no obvious weak components.
Can you download and run Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php post a screenshot of the readings with your next reply so that your temps and voltages can be checked.
Did you uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new ones, overlapping drivers can cause various problems, can you edit your OP and change the video card details there to HD5750, this will avoid any possible confusion should someone later rely on your topic for guidance, thank you.
The correct drivers for your card are available @ http://support.amd.c...Download Detail

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I didnt realize i installed the wrong driver. I also had a blue screen before, I uninstalled the incorrect driver and installed the correct driver.
[attachment=52111:Untitled.png]

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You have a couple of anomalous readings showing can you download and run HWMonitor and again post a screenshot with your next reply http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html we can cross reference then, feel free to uninstall these programs when we are done.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
[attachment=52115:Untitled.png]

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Both Speedfan and now HWMonitor are showing that there is a problem with the +12V supply from the PSU.
Can you borrow or do you have a spare PSU that you can swap in so that you can obtain fresh readings from Speedfan and HWMonitor as the readings may also be caused by a faulty MB sensor, see the PSU tolerance details below so that you can see how low the readings are.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Sorry I do not have a spare PSU, i have been looking for answers and it seems like this is a common occurrence with this card. There are many suggestions most of which are recommending rising the 2D clocks and voltage. I do not know if i should try this or not, nor do i really know how to. I am getting striped screens and grey screens. This happens when it is idle too long or I am trying to play a game, or even just randomly on the web.
Also if i do not reply soon it means I have lost power from the hurricane :) .

Edited by Prominia, 28 August 2011 - 02:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok the best suggestion I can make then is to have your PSU tested by a tech who has the correct equipment and the required knowledge some stores will do this for free, I hope the hurricane doesn`t hang around for too long or cause too much damage and as always reply when you are able to.
See the guidance given by Digerati regarding testing a PSU @ http://www.geekstogo...-a-psu-problem/ and stress testing your video card using Furmark http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok thanks for all the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome and let us know how it goes or if you require any assistance.