Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

physically change function of keys on keyboard

• Please log in to reply

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was in a accident and can only type with my right hand, I need to know if it is possible to physically change function of keys on keyboard? (internally) At work I use the esc key and f3 and f6 a lot, so I would like to make at least the / key over the number keypad the esc also while leaving the esc functionable as other people use my computer. I know it can be done in registry and software but?
1. Can it be done internally?
2. Can 2 keys do same function?

Can you do it

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
"Physically" change? I don't see how. However, you might be able to electrically change (remap) their functions. However, since you told us nothing of your computer, operating system or the keyboard itself, you left noting much to go on.

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well it's Works pc on a net work running xp, as far as the keyboard goes Id have to get one that only require it be black in color, I am I trying to see basiclly if a standard key board can be rewired as there is no access to software an IT support would not go for remapping. I want to crack open a keyboard and do it that way it possible.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No that will not work. There are only a few wires in the keyboard cable and when you press a key, you are really shorting a specific combination of those few wires to create the character. Changing just one connection is likely to alter several keys.

Your IT support should accommodate you - Remapping does not present a security threat and you are certainly not the only one with limited use of their hands/fingers.

johnnygonefishin`

johnnygonefishin`

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks, that's what I needed to know if I could have a keyboard "to go", like plug in to any computer and My keys be different but I'll guess I'll try IT support, but what about someone else using the computer?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Depends on the remapping program, but I would suspect it should allow different "profiles".