Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to Start Help & Support

• Please log in to reply

EarleH

EarleH

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got my PC in a mess! Was trying to get my sound card to work and was trying everything, but I think the last thing I tried was a black screen during boot that I hit something, and now my computer has no printer,(blank under list of computers) can't get on the internet,(Phones and modems won't open) and when I go to help and support(to use system restore), I get something that says I must start help and support, which I cannot for the life of me find how to!! As might be noted I am on another computer.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
EarleH
Welcome to GeekstoGo

How long ago did this sequence of events occur please. Presuming that it quite recent, click Start, hold the mouse on programs, hold on accessories, hold on system tools, click system restore and from there celect Restore my Computer to an Earlier Time

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 August 2011 - 02:57 PM.

EarleH

EarleH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

EarleH
Welcome to GeekstoGo

How long ago did this sequence of events occur please. Presuming that it quite recent, click Start, hold the mouse on programs, hold on accessories, hold on system tools, click system restore and from there celect Restore my Computer to an Earlier Time

Yes today. Have done the procedure outlined, however, the only restore date I could get was todays date, and I had previously (yesterday) used a June 30th and a May 15 restore date.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am a little confused.
You posted asking, or that is how I read it,

and when I go to help and support(to use system restore), I get something that says I must start help and support, which I cannot for the life of me find how to!!

How do I use system restore. Now you have replied, saying you have already tried two. When you use a system restore,point all restore points AFTER the date you use are then no longer available. So if May 15 was the first available restore date, that is why you now have only those created since.the restore, eg. today

Is the computer now booted to Safe Mode please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 August 2011 - 04:12 PM.

EarleH

EarleH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am a little confused.
You posted asking, or that is how I read it,

and when I go to help and support(to use system restore), I get something that says I must start help and support, which I cannot for the life of me find how to!!

How do I use system restore. Now you have replied, saying you have already tried two. When you use a system restore,point all restore points AFTER the date you use are then no longer available. So if May 15 was the first available restore date, that is why you now have only those created since.the restore, eg. today

Is the computer now booted to Safe Mode please.

I'm sorry, I've confused you as much as I am confused. First off, let me say I am 81, was not brought up on these, more like a 55 Chevy!! O.K. Yesterday I was trying to determine why my sound card stoped producing sound. It is a Realtek HD sound card. It came with the computer. Anyway yesterday I used restore (May 15) hoping to solve my problem. When it did not, I un did the restore. This morning, not letting well enough alone, I proceeded, unpluging the computer and any thing else I could think of. Lastly I rebooted and on one of those black pages with the white writing, I hit something, and after booting, I could no longer get on the internet, the computer shows I have NO printer nor will it load my computer. When I go to phone and modem, I get some sorta note saying something, never opening phone and modem. The same with medea etc. I am using an old Dell, therefore, with only one monitor, I can't give you the exact wording in the notes. I feel that I hit something that shut down everything that operates outside of the realm of the desktop. Files and folders I think all work. It is when we get to hardware??? I don't know! Update: I hook it back up, booted up "Safe". Went to Devise Manager and it was blank!! Not one thing listed, nothing, zip. What does that mean?

Edited by EarleH, 27 August 2011 - 09:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Start the computer as normal. Then click start, click to open My Computer. Right click on the icon for the Hard Disk Drive, most likely it will be C Drive. Then click properties.
Then on the window that opens, click the Tools tab, on error checking, click the button check now, on the window that opens click to check both boxes, automatically fix file system errors and the box by the entry, scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, click start and agree the message to run on restart, do so and please do NOT intterupt it, this is a five stage check.

If it will not work in normal mode, restart in Safe Mode and do the same.

EarleH

EarleH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Start the computer as normal. Then click start, click to open My Computer. Right click on the icon for the Hard Disk Drive, most likely it will be C Drive. Then click properties.
Then on the window that opens, click the Tools tab, on error checking, click the button check now, on the window that opens click to check both boxes, automatically fix file system errors and the box by the entry, scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, click start and agree the message to run on restart, do so and please do NOT intterupt it, this is a five stage check.

If it will not work in normal mode, restart in Safe Mode and do the same.

No luck! It is strange. I can play solitaire, write a letter, open any of my documents. It is only when I want to use my hardware. No blue screens, no error notes.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly, there is no need to quote in your reply each of my posts. You only need to quote if you wish to highlight a particular part of the post to query it etc.
Secondly, when you reply could you please be a little more detailed in your reply, rather than just

No luck

I need you to explain what happened, what message you received when you ran the chkdsk, or can you not even open the My Computer entry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
EarleH
It is now some six days, since my last post on your problem and you have not responded.
Would you please do so when you get the time.
Please indicate if help is still required OR if the porblem has been solved.

Thank you