Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Search functino in XP

• Please log in to reply

kwang

kwang

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hello all-

I am running into a problem with not being able to use my Search function from the Start menu in Windows XP. I was also lucky enough to have been bitten by the Aurora bug, but I think this may be something unrelated. As I try to run the Search function, the following error message occurs...

"A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup."

the familiar panel then loads up with the dog, but nothing else shows up on the screen. needless to say I can't do any searches (or my technology-void brain cannot do any searches)

if you have seen this and know how to fix it, that would be great!

thanks much in advance

cheers
kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here to reinstall the search companion files

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319949

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 05:39 PM.

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi keith-

thanks for your help--i tried installing it but it says that it can only work in computers with no service packs installed--i have recently (within the last couple of days) updated the windows to SP2...do you have other suggestions as to what to do?

thanks again for your help

cheers
kevin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and you get a blue progress bar

kwang

kwang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
keith-

i tried what you had suggested and it said that windows cannot find it...ironically, it asks me to use the Search function to try to find it.
unfortunately i am without my CD at the moment--are there other methods? i can have it retrived from home for me--what would be the steps to setting it up again?

thanks
kevin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you leave a space between c and /

This will help, look down the page for Windows Installation CD repair current installation

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

You should keep your data with this but from what it says, after running this, you would be better backing up anything you need and doing a clean install, unless you are happy with the way it runs

The other thing will be if it thinks you have SP2 and you try to load an SP1 disc, it will tell you you cannot run an older disc to replace the current version

This is another option, but it depends on the state of the installation

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 06:08 PM.