Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this Video Card be compatible in this PC?

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Ok, I gotcha... what forum would be best to post in when I'm ready to do all those uninstalls? Just come back here to this post? or another forum?

Come back to this, if it is reasonably soon, or simply post again. I will receive notification when you post on this thread, so will if I am available reply or indeed phillpower2, may well pick it up. Alternatively someone else will respond.

phillpower2
See you are online, just came in last night to herlp, whilst you were away. Hope you did not mind.

And it seems like Avast has fallen to the bottom of the list for AV programs.

They are NOT in any particular order. Have you read what we say about it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with AVAST.
Re Comodo - some people find it quite intrusive.
Really the choice is yours.
If you run with it and do not like it, then simply change.
You really need to read that thread and the advice.
The computer is supplied with a free trial of McAfee I think it was.
NEVER RUN MORE than one anti virus in real time protection, ner more than one firewall and never more than one anti-spyware if it is not included in the anti-virus.
So if you run with AVAST make sure the free trial of McAfee is NOT implemented. OR uninstall it.

The ehternet cable is a simple task of running a cable from the Modem to the computer. I do not know your residence.

I will post back on the modem when I have had a look.

NB THere is no need to reproduce my post as a quote, unless you wish to mention a particular part of it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 August 2011 - 03:07 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re Modem
http://www.buycoms.c...1_Datasheet.pdf

No wireless, you will need the router, connected to the modem by ethernet cable, and the computer will connect to the router wirelessly as previously discussed.

See this which confirms it

ZyXEL's Prestige 660 series offers ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ network solution for SOHO and Home users, providing high-speed Internet access that is faster than ever before. Users can enjoy higher-quality multimedia and real-time applications such as online gaming, video conferencing and other bandwidth-consuming services. With the Zero Configuration technology featured in the Prestige 660 series, installation is quick and simple, helping service providers eliminate labor cost of technical support. High-performance and ease of use make the Prestige 660 series the ideal Internet access solution for today's SOHO and Home user demands. Features Posted Image Product Description - ZyXEL Prestige 660M-61 - router Posted Image Device Type - Router Posted Image Form Factor - External Posted Image Dimensions (WxDxH) - 7.1 in x 5 in x 1.4 in Posted Image Weight - 0.7 lbs Posted Image Routing Protocol - RIP-1, RIP-2, IGMPv2, IGMP, static IP routing Posted Image Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, ATM, Fast Ethernet, PPP Posted Image Network / Transport Protocol - TCP/IP, PPTP, UDP/IP, L2TP, ICMP/IP, IPSec, PPPoE, PPPoA, AAL5 Posted Image Remote Management Protocol - SNMP, Telnet, HTTP Posted Image Digital Signaling Protocol - ADSL, RADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ Posted Image Features - DHCP support, NAT support, ARP support, auto-uplink, packet filtering, MAC address filtering, VPN passthrough Posted Image Compliant Standards - IEEE 802.1D, IEEE 802.1Q Tech Specs Posted Image Device Type - Router Posted Image Form Factor - External Posted Image Width - 7.1 in Posted Image Depth - 5 in Posted Image Height - 1.4 in Posted Image Weight - 0.7 lbs Posted Image Connectivity Technology - Wired Posted Image Framing Format - ANSI T1.413 Posted Image Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, ATM, Fast Ethernet, PPP Posted Image Network / Transport Protocol - TCP/IP, PPTP, UDP/IP, L2TP, ICMP/IP, IPSec, PPPoE, PPPoA, AAL5 Posted Image Routing Protocol - RIP-1, RIP-2, IGMPv2, IGMP, static IP routing Posted Image Remote Management Protocol - SNMP, Telnet, HTTP Posted Image Features - DHCP support, NAT support, ARP support, auto-uplink, packet filtering, MAC address filtering, VPN passthrough Posted Image Compliant Standards - IEEE 802.1D, IEEE 802.1Q Posted Image Type - DSL modem Posted Image Digital Signaling Protocol - ADSL, RADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ Posted Image Protocols & Specifications - ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A Posted Image Max Transfer Rate - 24 Mbps Posted Image Interfaces - 1 x modem - ADSL2 - RJ-11 ( WAN ) ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 Posted Image Authentication Method - PAP, CHAP Posted Image Compliant Standards - Plug and Play Posted Image Power Device - Power adapter - external Posted Image Min Operating Temperature - 32 °F Posted Image Max Operating Temperature - 104 °F Posted Image Humidity Range Operating - 20 - 85%

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 August 2011 - 03:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No problem Macboatmaster and thank you for picking the topic up.
I never pitched back in as I felt that the OPs topic has progressed to another level and that you were addressing it :)

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Hey you guys... I don't know which wireless adapter to buy... didn't you say I needed to stick with Netgear since that's the router I have? But there's so many adapters... how do I know which one is the right one for me? I was reading some of the comments on some of the adapters on walmart.com and some people complained about getting hit and miss reception??? Other people had no trouble at all. Can you point me in the right direction?

router is: Netgear N150, should I upgrade this? It's not even a year old yet, but I've been reading it's like bottom of the barrel when it comes to connection. And the DSL package we have with our telephone comp is probably not very good either... it's 384 Kbps down & 128 Kbps up. The other options are:

768 down/ 256 up
1500 down/ 256 up
3000 down/ 256 up
6000 down/ 768 up

Of course the price goes up with each. We've never really needed better till now... yeah it can be frustrating if you are trying to watch a video on a website and it's constantly having to buffer... we've been able to live with it. But now that my son will have a computer in his room and it'll be connected with this USB adapter... I want a good connection speed.

So questions are:

#1. Should I upgrade this N150 router?
#2. How do you pick out the right USB network adapter?
#3. Should I go up on one of the other DSL packages?

Thanks again!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.netgear.c...ep1073-5874.pdf

Have you read the above it tells you all about the Netgear Router.

The answers to your questions are
1. Try it and see. It is wireless B/G . wireless N generally has better range.
2. Any will generally work but why not stick with netgear.
Then the instructions for the router and the instructions for the usb adaptor will be compatible.
3. It really is your choice - again why not try it and see.

Netgear usb adaptors.
http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=867

Wireless N adaptors will include wireless B/G

The Netgear Router operates on the 2.4Ghz Gigahertz band the most usual band
IEEE® 802.11 b/g 2.4 GHz with some n features

Most usb adaptors are either 2.4 or dual band.
For example
Get connected securely when you seamlessly hook up your PC or laptop to your LAN with the WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter!
Technical specifications Characteristics Data transfer transfer rate of up to 150 mbps
Supports WPA-PSK WPA2-PSK and WEP security
Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
Antenna: Internal integrated
Compliant Standards:IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
System Requirements
Intel® Pentium® class PC
Available USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 slot
Microsoft® Windows® 7, XP, Vista®: (32/64-bit)
Dimensions: 60.86 x 18.44 x 8.83 mm
Weight: 74 g
Accesories:
Cradle
Installation guide
Smart Wizard® installation CD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 September 2011 - 01:00 PM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, so it looks like this one will work for me and the router I have: http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

But let me ask you this... if I do decide to go with a faster DSL package will the N150 router & wireless adapter still work? My understanding of internet speed and "kbps" terminology is limited. The info on the N150 wireless adapter says: Wireless-N technology for speeds up to 150 Mbps . So this is why I'm asking.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The short answer is YES
The N150 is I said backwards compatible with b/g
The WNA1100 is backwards compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b wireless networks so you'll be able to connect to virtually any hotspot.

Do not at this stage concern yourself with 150Mbps
Your internet speed is deternimed by your account with your ISP(Internet Service Provider).
It would not in essence matter to which you upgraded you will NEVER have any need for concern about the 150Mbps

That means it can handle 150 Megabytes of data per second.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Once again, thanks so much for your help! I've learned so much from this site.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased to have helped a little.
Would be very pleased to hear how you go on.
Good Luck.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, we started the rebuild today... problem #1... the power supply is too big, it won't fit in the case. My husband purposed we install it as an external componant... I really don't like that idea. I guess to me it won't "look right". I don't know what to think.

The dimensions of the case are: 4" x 10 1/2" x 13". The power supply that was in it was about 2" x 3" x 8". The new Corsair is: 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 6"

Problem #2... The new video card Radeon HD 5670 is too wide for the case as well. Again the Acer case is just 4" wide and the video card is 5".

I'm so disappointed. What are my options?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am so very sorry.
However, I feel bound to point out that although I am responding to your post as I dealt with a lot of your thread, my input was mainly concerning the internet connection issues.

I can offer no real suggestion, other than to ask, if you have NOT actually installed these components and you bought everything from Walmart, will they not talk regarding the exchange of the items.
The case is what is known as small form factor or Micro.
These frequently present difficulties, and do indeed require careful research of components to be added.
If the exchange of the PSU and the HD5670 is not an option, then your cheapest option is a new case, but that of course would require a complete build, not to be attempted without due consideration to what it entails.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 September 2011 - 05:06 PM.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Oh, you don't need to apologize. I was just in a bit of a panic and disappointment too I guess because the task is so daunting and we were finally ready to tackle it. I think what I'll do is exchange the Acer computer for a different Acer and I did check the dimensions this time and it seems like it's the regular tower size.

http://www.walmart.c...-UR21P/16622865

I don't think I'll have a problem with the exchange. At least I hope & pray not. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope this thread doesn't get closed because I have a feeling I'll need to come back for info.

When we get done and turn the computer on will it recognize the new video card since the one it comes with is integrated?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok, just noticed something else. The monitor plugs into the video card right? Well we checked the "plug" on the monitor... compared it to where you plug it in the video card and it does not match... the instructions that came with the computer show something called a DVI... is that an adapter that we can get to make this monitor work with this video card?

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok... now I know the Monitor is VGA and the video card requires DVI... So I looked them up and I see they sell VGA to DVI adapters and cables. Should I get the adapter or the whole cable?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Ok, we started the rebuild today... problem #1... the power supply is too big, it won't fit in the case. My husband purposed we install it as an external componant... I really don't like that idea. I guess to me it won't "look right". I don't know what to think.

The dimensions of the case are: 4" x 10 1/2" x 13". The power supply that was in it was about 2" x 3" x 8". The new Corsair is: 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 6"

Problem #2... The new video card Radeon HD 5670 is too wide for the case as well. Again the Acer case is just 4" wide and the video card is 5".

I'm so disappointed. What are my options?

Hi jen147
Like Macboatmaster I am sorry that you have encountered this problem and I hope that Walmart do the decent thing and put it right, also mentioned by Macboatmaster is the fact that the PC is the small form factor (SFF) type but this is not clearly advertised and so is misleading, the advert should read Acer Black AM3410-UR21P (SFF) Desktop PC this size of case will normally only accommodate a low profile type add on video card and so it would have been glaringly obvious that the HD5670 that you intended to purchase and the PSU I suggested were not compatible due to size.

When we get done and turn the computer on will it recognize the new video card since the one it comes with is integrated?

Yes, Windows will initially use its own generic drivers until you install your own from the disk supplied.

Ok... now I know the Monitor is VGA and the video card requires DVI... So I looked them up and I see they sell VGA to DVI adapters and cables. Should I get the adapter or the whole cable?

Just the adapter, this plugs into the Video card then your VGA lead from your monitor plugs into the adapter.