Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this Video Card be compatible in this PC?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thank you for the update, we are happy to hear that the PC is up and running :) :unsure:

So as you are uninstalling one and installing the others is there a period of time where you are completely unprotected

Yes, preparation is the key here, check for the Mcafee uninstall facility, download Avast, go straight to the Mcafee uninstall facility, uninstall it, reboot and ensure that it was a clean uninstall, the Mcafee software on your sons computer should have the uninstall option available however here is a link for you in case ;
http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS100507

Would you allow the McAfee to stay until the free trial runs out?

A matter of preference however if you uninstall it now and use Avast right away you will have no need to worry about having no protection when the Mcafee trial period expires.

Advertisements

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Well, that went a lot better than I had expected. The uninstall of McAfee went smooth as did the installation of Avast and Comodo. I also added Win Patrol because I've used it for a long time and like it... and I also wanted to add SpywareGuard and went to download.com to get it but the download bar would not come up, even after following their steps to add it to my Trusted Sites... Do you guys have a link I could try for the download, or do you even recommend that one anymore. I don't really want it paired with SpywareBlaster, I just don't really care for it, can't remember why, but I stopped updating it a long time ago. what do you think?

I don't know if IE is blocking the download bar or if it's Avast or Comodo... I installed Comodo first, then Avast, then WinPatrol then attempted SpywareGuard. Neither Avast nor Comodo blocked WinPatrol but it was from the winpatrol site not download.com.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
For the best advice on AV software read the topic by Admin at the attached link;
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks for the link Phillpower2.

I don't know if you guys want me to put this here... but I did have a problem today... first let me say I've got the 2nd computer up and running and the new graphics card and powersupply went in and are working great.

I went to do my computer backup today. I don't have the external hard drive that it really wanted me to use. I bought CD RW's instead. I know that may not be the best choice. Anyway... my son's computer backup went fine, only used one disc.

But mine had an error. It said:

Windows Backup did not complete successfully
The Backup completed but some files were skipped
Open the Backup & Restore Control Panel to view settings

Options: Error code: 0x8100002F

Notepad said:
Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Music as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Pictures as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Videos as it is on the backup target.

__________________________________________________________________________________

So what do you think?