Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Remove Alureon Rootkit Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You could try Avast free, the thing I like about it is the webshield. This is where all websites a filtered through the AV before they even get to your system

This is when I tried to download a bit of malware earlier today and both Avast and IE9 jumped on it. I had to disable the AV and use Firefox to download it

[attachment=52130:Capture.GIF]

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
You don't think I should use MS Security Essentials at all?

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I'm still cleaning up, but 2 things:

1) I don't have System Tools in my Accessories Folder.

2) I'm the only one who uses my computer, so I always Show Hidden Files. That's okay, isn't it?

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, great, I did everything. Just let me know an alternate way to access System Tools, please.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, I'll check in a bit later.

Thanks for everything, Essexboy. Moderator of the year! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Here you go - A screenshot from my windows 7

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, Essexboy.

Sheesh, I feel like an idiot. I'm so embarrassed. Okay, I used the System Tools and did everything else in your suggestions. I also read the article and it was great. I downloaded FileHippo and it's very good..

Just one last thing. Right now I am using MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. I know it's subjective, but do you think these 2 programs have me covered? They were both recommended in the article. The thing is that the Free version of Anti-Malware doesn't offer real-time protection. I know you can't use 2 anti-virus programs because they will conflict and I also know you need both anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Do the 2 programs I am using fit the bill? I am also using Windows Firewall.

Also, my computer is now booting up much, much faster. A noticeable difference.

Thanks so much again, Essexboy. I appreciate all your help and advice. I'll use the computer for 24 hours and just report back once more to keep you posted.

You made my day. Thanks again.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 29 August 2011 - 04:24 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem - wifey wanted her go on the computer, so being the gentleman that I am I gave it to her :)

Just one last thing. Right now I am using MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. I know it's subjective, but do you think these 2 programs have me covered? They were both recommended in the article. The thing is that the Free version of Anti-Malware doesn't offer real-time protection. I know you can't use 2 anti-virus programs because they will conflict and I also know you need both anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Do the 2 programs I am using fit the bill? I am also using Windows Firewall.

With windows 7 that is a fairly good set up, run a quick MBAM scan weekly and you should be OK

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks, Essex. I used the computer a lot since yesterday and everything is now top-notch. I'll make sure to keep it that way.

Thanks for everything.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure - keep safe now

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Will do. Thanks.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you really want to speed the boot system up and you feel technically able to do it look at this page my boot time decreased from 40 seconds to 15 when I ran it

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks, I was checking it out, but how do I do this?:

If you are a Windows 7 User:
Make sure that EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch registry settings are set to 3 and that the Superfetch service (sysmain) is running and set to start automatically.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Here's some news. I always had problems with MB AntiMalware. I kmow many people use it, but I kept trying to run a scan and part way through it would stop and say Not Responding. It really locked up the computer.

Anyway, I uninstalled it and then installed SuperAntiSpyware. Absolutely Fantastic! I just ram a Quick Scan and it was blazingly fast. It also found 256 threats which it cleaned. So this program is a keeper and I recommend it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Superfetch is enabled by default in windows 7 - I checked my new system out first

With SAS though it always includes cookies in its detection, which I feel are superfluous, as if you set IE9 to delete history on close they will be deleted. In the vast majority of cases cookies are not a threat :)