Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU socket question

• Please log in to reply

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Hi all,

I have two or three questions:

UPGRADING:
Currently I am running a GigaByte 965P-DS3 (Bios version F14) which has a socket model 775.
  • Can I safely upgrade my CPU to any other 775 socket sized CPU?

SYSTEM BUILDING:
I am composing a new 64-bit system, separate from the one above (obviously). It's the same question:
  • If I pick a i7 socket mobo, can I upgrade the CPU to any other i7 socket CPU in the future?
  • Also, is i9 coming anywhere soon?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Can I safely upgrade my CPU to any other 775 socket sized CPU?
can I upgrade the CPU to any other i7 socket CPU in the future?

No and no. While the socket limits the CPU options to CPUs that fit that socket, the REAL determining factor for CPU (and RAM) compatibility with a motherboard is the chipset.

Every (at least major) motherboard maker post QVLs - qualified vendors lists - for both CPUs and RAM on each motherboard's website, as seen for that Gigabyte board here. You MUST buy from the CPU list to ensure compatibility. There are too many RAM makers and models for the board makers to test them all, so you don't have to buy RAM from the list, but you do need to buy RAM with the same electrical (and obviously physical) characteristics as listed RAM.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Can I safely upgrade my CPU to any other 775 socket sized CPU?
can I upgrade the CPU to any other i7 socket CPU in the future?

No and no. While the socket limits the CPU options to CPUs that fit that socket, the REAL determining factor for CPU (and RAM) compatibility with a motherboard is the chipset.

Super.., thank you!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
If you are researching a future high performance computer build, the latest sockets are.

AMD, socket AM3+, *note the plus sign*

This article may be of interest.

http://allyncs.com/d...DProcGuide.html

**********************************************************************************************

Intel, socket LGA 1155, Motherboards, I would look at the Z68 platform.

This article may be of interest.

http://allyncs.com/d...lProcGuide.html