Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possibly Building My 1st PC--Help with Parts

• Please log in to reply

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, I am really leaning towards building my first pc. The only parts in a pc I haven't repaired or swapped out are the motherboard & cpu. I have to be honest, I am a little intimidated of it for some reason. All instructions I've read don't make it seem too hard though. I have a eMachines T6410 that was upgraded to the max of my abilities and it still works well, just not fast enough anymore. I plan to buy the parts in two weeks when I have a full paycheck to spare.

I browse the web, listen to a lot of music that I download and watch movies. I have been recently streaming movies over my network to another pc to watch on the big screen. Every once in a while, usually once a year I play Call of Duty for a couple of weeks. That is the only game I play, not big on them. I would like to have an hdmi port on the pc, so I can toss my adapter. I would like to have a SSD for the OS and a speedy hard-drive for my music and movies. I don't own any blu-ray disks but would like to. All in all, I don't think I need a "gaming" pc but something close to it. I am trying my best to keep the total cost around $500 although I'd spend $600 if it's worth it. I can upgrade in the future also, doesn't have to be all at once.

I have been to Best Buy & Microcenter and they both tried to sell me complete computers. I try to tell them what I'm looking for. They first ask if I play games and when I say anything about Call of Duty they tell me to get an Intel i7 processor. A little out of my price range. Anybody think AMD is comparable? How about i5's?

Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi kingofny.hova
Some information to help you with the build itself http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ and http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/
Tutorials courtesy of Troy and Artellos and Digerati respectively.
I will work on a list of components for you and post back with them, it won`t be until a bit later though.

EDIT: Details moved to OPs latest reply.

Edited by phillpower2, 29 August 2011 - 03:14 AM.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thank you phillpower2. I read the first link prior to posting, makes it seem very easy. Thanks for the second link, that was very informative. How easy is it to bend one of the pins during the install of the cpu? I think that is my biggest fear.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are welcome kingofny.hova :)

Ok so I have cheated a bit but here you go;

http://www.tigerdire...-tigeremail2790

http://www.tigerdire...2604&CatId=3636

http://www.tigerdire...45&Sku=C13-8160

http://www.tigerdire...5036&CatId=1483

I went the pre assembled tower route as it cut down the cost dramatically ($100+ on not having to purchase W7 seperately for example) this can be copied to your SSD legitimately as you have upgraded and not swapped the MB to which the W7 software is tied.
SSD is as is, you do not need anything bigger for the OS and a small amount of data.
The Blu-Ray burner could be swapped for a basic Blu Ray player to reduce cost.
The PSU upgrade was added to allow for the increased power that will be needed for the SSD drive and some headroom should you wish to fit an add on video card in the future.
The total cost for the components is $559.96 but please check on the shipping costs before you purchase, anyhow let us know what you think or if you would like any changes or have other suggestions.

EDIT: This route also removes the worry of bending a pin on the processor :unsure:

Edited by phillpower2, 29 August 2011 - 03:23 AM.

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Wow, thank you. I have looked at some of the bare bones kits and I wasn't sure about the quality of them. How can you tell how good of a case you are getting. I've never cared before to look at reviews or anything else about them. I agree the power supply would be a good choice too. All in all this is the cheapest I've seen for what I really want out of it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

How can you tell how good of a case you are getting. I've never cared before to look at reviews or anything else about them.

Reviews are the first thing I check before making a purchase as they can save you time, trouble and money, see below;

One review:

Thermaltake V2 ATX Mid Tower Case with 450W PSU

Unit has lots of vents for adding extra fans. Spacious inside, easy to assemble, great find

A second review:

The power button is very slick, case is spacious as well

A third review:

Overall a decent case, BUT a bit flimsy

Seems to be between 90-95% positive, let us know what you decide or if we can assist in any way.

NB: Got a confession to make RonShaffer61 highlighted the desktop and put the information on the Discussion forum, Hot Tech Deals topic, I just added the other components you required whilst trying to stay within budget and save you money :)

kingofny.hova

kingofny.hova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hey whatever works. I sure will take a look at reviews, thanks for all of the input. I will definitely let you know what I decide on. 'Preciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
No worries and good luck :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

How easy is it to bend one of the pins during the install of the cpu? I think that is my biggest fear.

Hello, the pins actually bend very easy so you must be careful. I am not joking when I say be patient and take it easy! Slow and steady wins the race, a comfortable environment (no war movies on the TV with big explosion sounds haha), a steady hand, and it's easy to build it right.

I do not know how many computers I have built (in the 100's probably not 1000's though) but putting the CPU in is always the part that freaks me out the most. Haven't stuffed one up yet though! :)