Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sceptre flat screen seems to keep shutting of power

• Please log in to reply

vivity

vivity

• Pip
  • 4 posts
As of late my flat screen, a SCEPTRE has taken it upon itself to shut down in the middle of my work. All I have to do is push the power button and it comes back on...but what is causing this.? Should I be looking for another monitor?
[email protected]

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

The easiest, if you have another monitor and another computer is to try the SCEPTRE on the other computer, a laptop will suffice and see if it has the same fault.
Another monitor on this computer will then complete the test.

It could be a power issue, how frequently does it occur.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
vivity
It is now four days since I replied to your request for assistance in this matter.
Please respond when you get chance indicating if you still require help or if you have solved the problem.

vivity

vivity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Mac, Thanks for replying. I do not have another computer to switch the screen to. I have checked all the cords and everything seems to be ok. The shutting off problem seems to happen daily a couple of times. Particularly when I am starting out. After a while, it no longer happens. Unless the computer is idle or shut down. Then I have to start over again, pushing the power button for a few trys. I have had this screen for about 6 yrs and this has never happened before. [email protected]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry I have not responded since Sunday. Due to sudden unforseen circumstances, I have not been online.

Please post the make and model of the computer if branded.
When you say

pushing the power button for a few trys.

I presume you DO mean the power button on the monitor and NOT the computer.- or are you in fact saying that you have to force a shutdown of the computer.

vivity

vivity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The Sceptre monitor model is: X22HG-Naga
Computer is a Gateway, Windows XP

yes, pushing the power button on the monitor turns it right back on.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have had a look at the monitor but could not examine the computer details as you only provided Gateway.
I needed the model.
However - is the monitor powered from a 240V or depending on your location a 120V power outlet or is it powered from the outlet of the Computer PSU.
On a number of older computers the power supply had the mains AC power in and another connection for mains AC power out
as per this image
The lower connection is of course the mains power in and the upper can be used to provide the monitor with power - Is this your setup please OR is the monitor powered from its own AC outlet.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 September 2011 - 12:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Post in error

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 September 2011 - 12:29 PM.

vivity

vivity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Mac,
The monitor is plugged directly into its own outlet on the wall.

The Gateway model M FAT XRNMDW510....manuf. in '03. wow...time for a new one. This one is way too slow and bogged down.
Consumer report recommends Dell. What do you think? I just do some work from home and emails...no gaming or movies. Thinking I will have to spend $600-1,000 to get one that will last me a while. I don't relish the idea of starting over, ugh!

Thank u so much for all your time and effort.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Thank u so much for all your time and effort.

The thank you is appreciated.

What I suggest now is that you make all possible eforts to connect this monitor to another computer, as there is clearly no risk, to the computer in simply connecting a monitor, maybe a neighbour could assist. You will appreciate that I do not know your situation.
Ideally you need another monitor connected to this computer.

However in case this is NOT for some reason possible, lets carry out some further tests on the problem.

1. Can we positively eliminate any movement of the computer , connectings lead to the monitor, or indeed the monitor itself when this issue occurs.
2. Go start, right click My Computer, click properties and then click the hardware tab and then the device manager button, please look to see if there are any warnings against any devices. Particularly the entries for the monitor and the sound, video and game controlers.
If there are please expand the entry and post details of the warning message.
On the monitor entry, please expand the entry and then double click to open the actual entry, Does this show it as THAT monitor and on the driver tab and driver details what is shown please.
Closing back to just device manager and on the View tab, click to show hidden devices and again check for warnings please.