Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install windows on a new HDD :\

• Please log in to reply

cgarretson

cgarretson

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Just built my new computer and bought the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit package to maximize my RAM usage. Long story short, the HDD will not come up on the installation screen, but it does show up n the BIOS. I read up online about my HDD (2TB Seagate Barracuda XT) and the drivers are automatically on it or something to that effect. its a new way according to their site -.- To clarify a few things, no i do not have another computer to format, partition, download tools to scan the drive as the only other computer i have is a POS Laptop. my MB is a BioStar TZ68A+ and yes i have all of the appropriate cords attached, i made sure the HDD is in the 6 GB/S transfer rate, SATA_1. If anyone needs more information i will make an edit of this post.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Hi.

Read this post, right to the end, I think the relevant section that May fix your problem is by Cantbecanit Posted Image

http://forums.seagat...t-up/td-p/86602

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
what specifically are you referring to, the driver controllers?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts

what specifically are you referring to, the driver controllers?

Yes. I have copied and pasted at the bottom of the post.

Before trying that though, This G2G topic is, I think, the same problem as yours with a suggestion from Happyrock. Happen you should try this first.

http://www.geekstogo...15#entry2055242

**********************************************************************************************************************

When you install Windows on a drive that will be the boot drive (ie, the C: drive), when it comes time to install Windows, the drive may not be detected. Here is the proper procedure:

• Insert the Windows OS CD/DVD into the CD/DVD drive.
  • Power down the computer.
  • Mount and connect the Serial ATA hard drive.
  • See here for an interactive flash tutorial illustrating this.
  • Power up the computer.
  • For some add-in SATA controler cards, you will need to press the F6 key to install drivers as the Windows setup screen launches.

-You may never have noticed the "F6" option before, since it happens at the bottom of the screen and is visible for only a few seconds during a standard install. What you most likely encountered during the setup process was a screen that came up, informing you Setup could not find any drives installed on your computer and that it could not continue, much like the screen sample below:

(Click to expand)
    Posted Image
  • To be able to hit the F6 button, you must restart the Setup process, and watch the bottom of the screen after pressing Enter on the "Welcome to Setup" screen. There will be some moments of files being loaded, and then you should see a message appear that says "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver". This message will only stay on the screen for a couple of seconds, so press F6 as soon as you see it appear.

Edited by iammykyl, 30 August 2011 - 04:28 PM.

cgarretson

cgarretson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
so i said "F" the 2TB and i went to geek squad from Best Buy to verify my decision, i got a 500GB SSD for just the OS installation and boot up process. plugged n the drive and nothing happened, fans spun maybe 1/4 a revolution and stopped... as before. i checked my MB cords so i didnt have a repeat offender here, and started it back up. Windows loaded to where i got the the "windows loading flag" and it cut out. now it wont do anything over just spinning the fans 1/4 a revolution and going back to the 2TB doesnt help at all either. What the... did i just do to mess this up further? -.-

I did this before i read this post so now im just SOL *sigh*

*resolved after doing bare-bone stock version of the MB on cardboard*

Edited by cgarretson, 04 September 2011 - 11:56 AM.