Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The File/Send Link function no longer works

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
My system (Dell desk top with XP, Firefox, and Yahoo email) no longer lets me email the URL of the page I am viewing by clicking File/Send Link.

I used to be able to do that when I had a Comcast email address. I think my email settings are such that my system thinks I still have a Comcast email address.

How do I change my Yahoo email settings so that I can use the Send Link function?
Thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi batpark,

Try this:

In Firefox go to Tools > Options > Applications and scroll to find mailto under Content Type column on the left and click the choice that is presently set under the Action column on the right. Click on the dropdown arrow and choose Use Yahoo! Mail then click OK.

That should reset the default mail program in Firefox so that when you go to File > Send Link... Yahoo will open with the link inserted.

Below is a link that will help as well:

Changing the e-mail program used by Firefox

:)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Donnab: Thanks for your help and instructions. I followed them and got this odd result.

After clicking File/Send Link (while viewing a web page) I got a Yahoo email form in which the URL of the link appeared in the To: box (as if it were the addressee). Can you spot what I am doing wrong?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That is odd! :) I booted up my XP and changed the default email to Yahoo in Firefox and the links all go to the body of the email when I click File > Send Link... as they should. I even tried this on my Vista and Win7 and I can't simulate the oddity that you are experiencing.

I've also searched the web for an answer. Seems there's not much on this out there unless I just haven't found the correct search terms yet.

Boy! That is weird! :unsure:

Let me search a bit more to see what I find or maybe one of the other members may have seen this happen before. If you figure this out before I or one of the other members posts, please let us know how you fixed it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi batpark,

Please open Firefox in Safe Mode. Here's how:

Close all browsers.

Start > Programs > Mozilla > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode) and place a check in all the boxes then click Continue in Safe Mode. Now try to send a link via File > Send Link...

Let me know what happens.

Did you ever have your computer checked out in the removal forum as I had requested here? Are you still having issues with ads popping up? You never really got back to us to let us know for sure. There's really nothing we can do further till we know for sure you are not infected. If the above does not work, please click on the link in my post in the thread I linked you to above. Our efforts could be fruitless if all your issues are due to infection.

:)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
DonnaB: Continued thanks.

Here is a partial answer to the suggestions you made.

1. Firefox Mozilla in Safe Mode
a. I checked all the box in the SafeMode menu and then tried to File/Send Link (URL = abcdef.com.
b. A yahoo email form appeared with something like this in the To: window:
“mailto?: abcdef.com”
and all else blank.

2. When I then tried to exit Safe Mode and restore normal Mozilla operation, I got this error message;

“firefox.exe – Unable to locate component. This application failed to start because mozillaloc.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.”

Is this significant? Does it tell you something important?

3. To return to normal operation I then hit Start/Log Off/Restart and rebooted.

4. With regard to your questions about whether I did a full virus check .. the short answer is NO. I understand your concerns here but, to tell you the truth, with the exception of a few glitches my system has been working better now than it has in years and I am reluctant to do anything to make it unstable again, as it once was.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
EDIT: Please scroll down to next post!

Hi batpark,

After discussing your issue with some of the other members here, I feel the best that can be offered is to uninstall then reinstall Firefox. I am providing a link on Backing up and restoring bookmarks just in case you need it.

If you need further guidance please don't hesitate to ask. Let us know how everything comes along once you have finished reinstalling.

EDIT: Upgrading will be of no use because your settings will stay the same and the issue will most likely persist.

Good luck!

Donna

Many thanks to Essexboy and macboatmaster for your help and guidance. You gentlemen rule! :)

Edited by DonnaB, 04 September 2011 - 09:34 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Before trying the uninstall and reinstall Firefox I have a question or 2 to ask you.

What version of Yahoo mail are you using? Yahoo! Classic?

Did you ever upgrade to the newer version of Yahoo! offered?

I also found one of your older threads where you were still using Firefox version 3.6.18. Are you still? I have FF 6.0.1. Thought about reverting back to 3.6.20 myself which is the last version I had prior to upgrading to FF 6. But it doesn't seem to be feasible if that is what you have.

I see that you had posted this same issue on June 06, 2011. --> Using the File/Send Link command

Reason I ask.......

Whilst giving you the instructions in my first post on how to set your default email in Firefox to Yahoo! I went ahead and did the same on my computer (which I have been wanting to do for some time but never took the time to do).

At first everything worked great! Then just today when I clicked File > Send Link I got a URL that was unclickable so I ventured out looking for an answer to no avail. I reverted back from the newer version of Yahoo! to the Classic version of Yahoo! and lo and behold the URL went to the To: field and not the message body of the email. So actually I simulated your issue by experimenting trying to correct my own.

I have found a plethora of people who have this problem yet no solution. So upgrading to the newer version of Yahoo! will be of no use either. This is more than likely a Yahoo! problem versus a Firefox problem. I did find that many are not having this same issue with IE.

Following is a link that I found though I haven't taken the time to research/experiment with the content.

Using Firefox with Yahoo mail: How do I make "clickable" a url that is pasted into the body of an email?

So what this boils down to is, Yahoo! may no longer be compatible with Firefox as a default email. :)

I hope my efforts have helped in some way.

Edited by DonnaB, 04 September 2011 - 09:39 PM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
DonnaB: Thanks so much for all your efforts. You have been very helpful. Your research on my behalf saved me hours of frustration.
Happilly, the glitch is not a serious one. ... batpark

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Happilly, the glitch is not a serious one. ... batpark

No...not serious. Inconvenient...YES! :unsure:

If I do come across a solution or if Yahoo and Mozilla ever get their ducks lined up in a row I'll post my findings to help those who are inconvenienced with this issue.

Thanks so much for all your efforts.

My pleasure! :)

Have a nice day!

Donna