Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista OS won't load

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Have a "e Machine" desk top preloaded with no installation disk.

Getting "error in loading OS" message at start up. Start up repair does not find any problems.

Tried bootrec.exe /fixmbr but the file would not recognize fixmbr.

A boot sector read has the following message included: " A disk read error occurred BOOTMGR is missing BOOTMGR is compressed Press Cltr+Alt+Del to restart"

I don't think I have a malware problem but how do I repair the MBR?

Ole37

Addendum:

In addition a read of the 1st sector MBR contains the following: "Invalid partition table. Error loading operating system. Missing operating system."

The OS is not missing and right now the system will boot after multiple attempts. After the last successful boot, I've resorted to keeping the computer on until I can get this problem resolved.

Ole37

Mod Edit: Moved from Applications forum to Windows Vista forum.--ST

Edited by Ole37, 31 August 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi Ole37

Couple of things that I suggest that you try to resolve the issue;

Do you have a valid XP CD? (also compatible with Vista)

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:•Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC - Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Then run the diagnostic tool that is appropriate for your HDD which can be found @ http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Post back with the results of each test, if the issue is not resolved however then a malware check should be considered, this is based on what you have said in your OP, see below;

I don't think I have a malware problem but how do I repair the MBR?

I will point you in the direction of the Malware Techs if the need arises but for now can you do the above testing.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yes I have an upgrade XP cd. Will give it a try Friday eve.

Ole37

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I ran sfc /scannow program with my XP upgrade disk. I saw no change in the read of either the MBR or boot sector (I'm using "HDHacker" for the read).

Downloaded and ran Western Digital's diagnostic program "DLGDIAG". The extended test came back with a PASS reading. My drive is Western's WD40 00AAJS 00YFA SCSI.

To sum up: Nothing has changed.

Have you had any experience with "MBRwizard" a program touted to be able to repair the MBR section?

http://mbrwizard.com/

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would normally not advice a third party site but this one seems to be working for a lot of people with a compressed bootmgr. Option 3 seems to be the best one to try.

Try this link.

Let me know if that works. :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

If I understand the site correctly, I need an OS installation disk. And that I do not have as my machine came pre-installed.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you borrow one? It has to be the same version as what is installed... Home, Media or Pro

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

Don't know. Will have to check around.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before you get to far ahead is there data you need to save?

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I could make an image file of the drive with "Drive Image XML"

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well under normal circumstances I would say yes but you can't get the OS to load so imaging it at this point would copy over any issue you are having right now.
A better way to save your data in this issue is to use a Linux Live cd to gain access to the data and backup what you need to.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
rshaffer61

I have a question for you.

I have been considering an upgrade to windows7. If I upgrade, will my boot sector be erased and changed/corrected?

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you talking a full format and then install or just a upgrade?

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
UPGRADE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that one is going to be a tough since normally you would have to be in windows to do the upgrade. Are you trying to save your data with doing a upgrade?