Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning up slow computer

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please see my post 14. re AV

and then do this please.
http://support.micro...71058/en-us#top

Please note run the default mode first

Note this Fix it Solution has two modes Default and Aggressive. You should run the Fix it solution in Default mode and determine if it resolves your problem with Windows Update before running it in Aggressive mode.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 September 2011 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I did uninstall Avast as I was uninstalling all the other programs. I did reinstall avast afterwards. I went to the microsoft link of fix it. I have already tried that as well. Tried the Default first then the aggressive and they both fail. I have not heard back from microsoft either after I sent the windowsupdate log and screen shot on Monday. At a loss with this windows update.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try it with Avast disabled BUT only of course on the windows update site.

Also I see on your first post that you tweaked services etc.
See this and restore to default settings.
http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

Then when you have done that please do this.
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:
  • Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Open the Command Prompt window. To do this, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
      Posted Image

Posted Image
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:net stop wuauservPosted Image
  • Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    • Click OK if you receive a verification message.
    Posted Image
  • Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:net start wuauservPosted Image
  • Exit the Command Prompt window. To do this, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 September 2011 - 03:53 PM.

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I disabled avast when I was at the microsoft page and again tried the Fix it. Both default and aggressive fail. I see you added to your post, I will try the other part.

Edited by geric16, 01 September 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am going offline it is 0001 in UK.
Please note also my suggestion to return services to default.
I will be back about 1900hrs.

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I reset all the services back to default. Then tried the dos cmd part of "regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll" but it gives me the following error "LoadLibrary("C:\WINNT\system32\wups2.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did you first type the command at 2.
net stop wuauserv

If you did NOT pls go back and start again on that suggestion.

If you did please now try this one
Start, cmd., type each of the following and press ENTER after each one. Wait after pressing enter you should receive a response.
regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wuweb.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wups.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wucltui.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wuaueng.dll

regsvr32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\wuapi.dll

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 September 2011 - 12:17 PM.

geric16

geric16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Sorry I was gone over labor day weekend. When I got back Microsoft had responded with the following that I did and it worked and I was able to do the updates. So updates are now installed so what is our next step after that, I get teh PC Pitstop popup when I log in still.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
-----------------------------------------
1. Please download the "subinacl.msi" from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft...finityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install it.
3. Please select "C:\Windows\System32" as the destination folder during the installation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
-------
1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "notepad C:\reset.cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
secedit.exe /analyze /db C:\WINDOWS\sectest.db /cfg C:\WINDOWS\inf\defltwk.inf /log C:\WINDOWS\security\logs\secanalyze.log
secedit.exe /configure /db C:\WINDOWS\sectest.db /cfg C:\WINDOWS\inf\defltwk.inf /log C:\WINDOWS\security\logs\secrepair.log

cipher /A /D c:\windows\system32\catroot\*.*
cipher /A /D C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\*.*

Subinacl /service wuauserv /sddl=D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
Sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the "Notepad" window. Choose "Yes" when prompted to save the file.
4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\reset.cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter" to run the commands pasted.
5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: This step may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly I am sorry I have not responded for a few days I have not been online since Sunday, due to unforseen circumstances.

I am pleased that Microsoft managed to get the updates working for you.
Once you have all updates installed please post back with how it is.

You will most certainly have a large number of updates to install. You will probably find that once you have completed the first set offered and rebooted the computer another set will be offered.

WHEN you have them all installed, please advise how the computer seems to run.
Partcularly IS it slow to load Windows, from the log-on screen, OR slow when browsing, etc.

I strongly recommend you resist from changing settings that you are in anyway unsure of the implications.
Many problems, including indeed WIndows update issues, are causes by attempts to tweak performance by disabling various services.
It is if you do mind me telling you, not always appreciated that disabling one service, can directly effect others, due to the interdependencies.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
geric 16
It is now seven days since my last reposne.
How are matters progressing please.
If you no longer require further help please idiciate that in your reply.
Plsease do reply, rather than simply leaving the issue unresponded to.
Thank you

Advertisements